Aragon 47K
Description: phono stage

Submitted by Tedrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up this phono-preamp to use in a secondary system because it offered use-selectable gain and load settings so it could be used with most MM and MC cartridges currently on the market. Under the hood, you'll find a nice, clean minimalist layout that smacks of quality and attention to detail. The jumpers to set the gain and loading are accessible on the main board and are clearly marked. The outboard power supply is a nice touch, and probably helps minimize background noise.

I've used the 47K with both MM and HOMC cartridges with excellent results. The sound in my system is best described as balanced from top to bottom with just a touch of warmth. Bass is nicely extended and full, and the treble has plenty of extension and detail without sounding harsh or edgy. Soundstaging extends beyond the edges of my speakers, and there's nice image depth and layering as well.

If I had one nit-pick, it's that you must remove the top cover to access the jumpers to adjust gain and loading, but then there are much more expensive phono-preamps that are designed the same way. A really nice touch would have been to use dip-switches instead and mount them on the back panel.

All in all, the 47K is a well-built, well-appointed component that performs way above its price point.

Submitted by ltc356 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had been using a PS Audio IV phono section with my Rega P3 turntable for a couple of years with no problems when I decided to upgrade my cartridge from a Benz Micro Gold (2.5mv) to a Clearaudio Beta S (4.5mv). The higher output was too much for the PS Audio amp and I started to look for a replacement.
Being a fan of Aragon equipment, I started checking the used market for a 47K. This unit does everything that a good mid-priced phono stage should. The 3 levels of gain allow for a much better match for cartridges than units such as the PS Audio. The soundstage and detail in records is much improved. Build quality is typical Aragon - military grade components, machined aluminum face, etc.

Overall, a very good unit that will bring out the detail in vinyl that will make you wonder why you ever went to CD's.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by John Dooley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the Aragon 47-K phono pre-amp to match the price of a Rega Planar 3 turntable. Other related audio products are the Grado Sonata Cart. going though an Audio Research LS-16 pre-amp via Aragon 8008BB amp to Martin Logan SL-3's. The Aragon 47-K was back ordered for over 2-1/2 months and I had a hard time getting information fron Mondial. Even the Rega Planar 3 turntable was back ordered from England and it beat the Aragon 47K in shipping information and delivery. Once I got the unit, I was rather impressed with the simple design and non funtions. Once the whole system was pluged up, I heard a slight hum at high volume levels. I tested the pre-amp and amp, and everything was fine. The problem may be the turntable or phono pre-amp, therefore I took both back to Digital Ear and they pluged them up with Krell pre-amps and amp, it sounded beatuiful. Some people write that the Grado Sonata cart. hums with certain set-ups, or it maybe the old wiring within my house, but I don't play music that loud, therefore I am rather pleased. With certian LP's, like for example "Tommy James - Crimison and Clover" the highs kill my ears. I wish there was a hi/low cut, but I guess at the $600 level for a phono pre-amp, all the design went into direct current. If I would of done it over again, I would buy the Audio Research PH3 phono pre-amp for its tubed warmness and because Audio Research is a higher grade audio company than Mondial. I ran into some werid "It's NOT Possible" philosophy with one of the designers at Mondial over their Acurus ACT3 pre-amp and the concept of "NOT" makes me wonder if Mondial can SEE certain things.

Purchased At:   Digital Ear