Shelter 501
Description: Shelter 502 moving coil cartridge

Submitted by jsd52756 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
After trying several different cartridges over the last five years, I finally found the one I like. I went through, Shure V15, Sumiko Blue Point Special, Grado Reference and finally ended up with the Shelter. Compared to the other cartridges, the 501 really does make a great improvement in the sound. The bass & the highs are much more pronounced and clearer. After being spoiled with the sound of CD's it took me a while to get my vinyl to sound the way it should with the proper cartridge. I have never had any problems with the tracking, skipping or too much surface noise. Just the sound of the tunes. On some records I can actually hear the hiss from the originas recording studio tape with no other backround noise at all. That say a lot right there.
It costs big bucks compared to the others, but sounds like it as well. I am using it on a Technics SL1210 turntable, which some may think is a "toad" as far as turntables go, but the combination sounds great being played through Krell & Infinity equipment.
I recommend this cartridge to others if you have the money. Much, much better than the ones I tried and ended up selling.
I am giving 4 stars to value only because they are not giving it away @ $800. You have to be a devoted listener to shell out that much money for a cartridge. But if you are devoted I think this cartridge sounds awsome.

Purchased At:   Todd the Vinyl Junki