ORTOFON 2m Blue Cartridges

# Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-25.000 Hz
# Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz + 2 / - 1 dB
# Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 20 µm/mN
# Stylus type: Nude Elliptical
# Tracking force, recommended: 1,8 g (18 mN)
# Tracking angle: 20°
# Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
# Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
# Cartridge weight: 7.2 g

Submitted by Geryon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2015

Bottom Line:
Ohhhh the bass is fantastic. The tracking is superb and it excellently tracks inner grooves with very little to no IGD. Very musical and detailed cartridge and as usual with Ortofon it was easy to setup and install. Within half an hour I was listening. Very good value for money considering you can pay thousands for cartridges. Better than expected but still have yet to fully run it in.

A great next step up for any hi-fi enthusiast. Exceptional value for money.

Submitted by Robert Lindberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
Super. The only cartridges I listened to that I think sounded better is Ortofon 2M Black and ADC XLM Mk III (with original Shibata stylus). And the difference is not that big. If you have a budget cartridge like AT 95, Shure M75, or others of that cind. Run to the shop, buy this an instal it on your turntable. You will not regret it.

Submitted by Hififan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2012

Bottom Line:
Prior to using the Ortofon 2M Blue I was using a Sumiko Pearl, even though it was a good entry level mm cartridge it was ok, tad to warm for my taste. After reading reviews on the 2M blue I decided to give it try. It was like a veil being lifted in comparison to my previous cartridge, absolutely musically better, more dynamic, better soundstage. Some say its too clinical, cold even. I have to disagree as I think it really comes down to your setup, turntable, amp, phono stage, speakers etc etc. What the Ortofon 2M Blue can do is really showcase your equipment or where a part of your equipement maybe lacking, I do have to agree with others that the cartridge is very neutral, an example I did was try 2 different phono preamps, one had given more bass the other was more balanced musically, faster and tighter. If you trust your equipment to do its job well for you then the best will ony come from the 2M blue, lets face it, its not the most expensive cartridge but I will garantee it will deliver great music, trust your ears.

Submitted by Hifitherapist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from the 2mm Red to the 2mm Blue because I read some positive reviews and thought it might be worth it. The Blue exceeded my expectation in every way and does everything better than the 2mm read. I agree what with virtually every word that was written in the lengthy but in my opinion accurate review by mvm below so no need to repeat all of that. Let me just ad that it takes effort to pull myself away from my system since I've had this cartridge. I own more expensive MCs as well, but I rather listen to this humble Ortofon instead. I have heard some people describe it as cool or not as warm as others, perhaps that's true but true my system is has plenty of warmth. As some have mentioned it has great bass, but it's the sweet midrange and shear musicality that I like the best. I have had no problems with humming due to antiskating issues. For the money (less than half of some of my MCs) this is an amazing value. If people aren't absolutely thrilled with this cartridge then perhaps the issue isn't the cartridge. Highly recommended.

Equipment: Naim XS integrated Amplifier, Linn Sondek LP12 turntable (Valhalla, Cirkus, Tramp 2, Ittok 2)
Luxman CD player, B&W N803 speakers, Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck.

Submitted by Gino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
The 2M Blue is not my favourite one, but it is a good one. I use it on a Rega Planar 2 turntable with a J.A. Michell Tecnoarm. The Ortofon 2M Blue is neither romantic nor warm, so if you are looking for a warm one, you should buy something else such as Ortofon MC1 Turbo, Shure m97xe or Grado Prestige Silver. The main qualities of the 2M Blue are dynamism, excellent tracking and deep bass. The high frequencies and the mid band are not my cup of tea; however, the 2M Blue is not bad in these areas. In my opinion, the Denon DL-110 performs better in these two ranges of frequencies because the midrange is more enjoyable and the high frequencies are airier. The 2M Blue is a perfect match with a system which lacks of life and is mainly on the warm side. Finally, the 2M Blue has more surface noise compared to the Denon DL-110. Overall, the Ortofon 2M Blue is a good cartridge if it is match with the right stuff. Recommended.

Sennheiser: