Koetsu Rosewood Standard II Cartridges

Rosewood Body Low Output MC cartridge

Submitted by michel lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
good ! I think it is a good design for human voice and string .... sweet , warm ..... it is only the basic model from Koetsu . but it is already did a great performance I can not believe ....it is only cost 100000yen ..... too good ! with reasonable price ! forget to say ....I buy from Tokyo

Purchased At:   tokyo

Submitted by Ronald Chan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this Rosedwood head in the expectation that the good old day of Koetsu would return. But NO. This NEW rosewood tries to integrate the new sound and the old vinyl (hope you know what I mean, just like what is done in NBS cables) together. What I got is a monster! I found that the NEW Koetsu loses the magical and trademark sound of the cartridges built by the old Japanese gentleman. Now it seems that I am listening to CD sound. And with the money I can have many choices.

I found this to be the case with many older brand names, like Cardas, NBS, McIntosh, Marantz and so on. They try to give you new wine with old taste. But what I get is new wine with bad taste. I would rather have the old vintage with the old wine. How much I miss the old Red Koetsu. Ouh!

For the new wine, I would prefer cartridges with new design and new technology.

P.S.: I am not still so sure whether it is the sound of the new cartridge, or I get a retip one from this Mr. Cheuk of Topclass Audio. I feel very uncomfortable in purchasing new cartridges from him, as he carries so many second-hand stuff. And I heard that he trades in old cartridges with new ones with his loyal customers and with his friends. I wonder why Koetsu gives dealership to a shop which does both brand new (?) and old stuff. Maybe the good old days of Koetsu has really passed away!

Purchased At:   Topclass Audio

Submitted by Ashley Chua a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
Excellent performance for the money. Very dynamic, with lightning quick transients. Snap drums and cymbals have the rare transient snap factor. Resolution of the spatial soundstage is accurate with nicely rounded images and lots of air. Decays are very natural sounding.Needs a good phono stage, preferably an MC step up transformer for maximum performance due to its lowish 0.5mV output.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile