Dynavector DV Karat 17D2 MKII Cartridges

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

17D2MKll Karat Diamond is the first cartridge built using 'dispersion' theory. Its Micro-Ridge stylus and very short (1.7mm) solid diamond cantilever give a huge reduction in 'frequency dispersion', unmatched dynamics and a high frequency extension all the way up to 100kHz. The latest patented magnet circuit design increases the output to 0.26mV with crystal clear mid-range and treble even during the largest symphonic crescendos.

Submitted by Jörg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've been using two DV 17D2 Mk II for a year now and agree that it is awesome, great dynamics and good tonal balance and exceptional resolution. The low mass and rigidity of the cantilever/tip provides a response that's only possible with good amps! We are talking electronic response of electronic mediums as transistors and tubes which react with the speed of light, not mechanical devices! But there is a caveat.
Contrary to what Fronkle stated in his or her's earlier review the 17D2 Mk II is NOT a very rugged cartridge. Perhaps it will perform well and reliable in a "matching" tone arm but I already had two failures of this cart in my beloved old Empire Troubador 598 III (no accidents). I love this turntable and had it for about 35 years now but its arm is very heavy and apparently not suited for the 17D2 Mk II. All my previous carts performed very well without failing or damage, even a high-end ELAC with high compliance tip.
I just had my second defective 17D2 sent to Dynavector/Japan to have it repaired but wonder if it will last in my Empire, I'll probably sell it right away. I'm looking for a 2nd hand DV XX-2 Mk II now as it seems to be more rugged and has less compliance. I also talked to a German guy which builds his own high-end turntables and he told me that the 17D2 Mk II is the best DV cart concerning resolution, neutrality and dynamics even though it's not the most expensive. But if it doesn't match with the arm its prone to failure.
At the moment I'm using my ancient DV Karat 23RS van den Hul modified. It has a bit less resolution but it it's very close to the 17D2, same dynamics and even better bass (the 17D2 sounds a bit "lean"). I'll probably be able to audition a DV XX-2 Mk II soon and if it sounds good I'll probably get that one. The DV DRT XV-1s is just a bit too heavy for my arm and it's also quite a bit too expensive ...

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by Jörg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by loukasb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product 2 months ago as part of a total turntable upgrade to a Michell Gyrodec SE/SME 309 combo. My initial impressions were not that good since the phono stage I used at that time, a Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 was not up to the task of driving very low output cartridges. Changing the phono stage to a Trichord Dino+ the results are impressive. Excellent dynamics, very good focus and overall tonal balance with slight emphasis in frequency extremes (excellent reproduction of high and low frequencies). Listening to operas and jazz vocals, human voices have an equal dose of warmth and clarity not found in other cartridges I've heard in the past. Symphonic orchestras are reproduced with proper amount of scale and really fast tempo.

Submitted by Fronkle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
This product is particularly interesting as it has no cantelever (i.e. rod or tube) to hold the tip. The tip is the cantilever!!! After having many previous stylii rendered ruined by bent cantilevers, this is the most robust cartridge I've ever had. If you have small kids, it's a good choie for a decent stylus. The sound quality is acceptable, but I haven't really done an A-B comparison to provide you with particulars.

Purchased At:   AudioT