Denon DL-160 Cartridges

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $180.00

high output moving coil cartridge

Submitted by ArmyDicked a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have lots of friends but very few who are still speaking to me. I live to enlighten people, to correct people, to save them from themselves. So it is with my present review of the Denon DL160 Moving Coil cartridge. I retired my entry level 1986 Systemdek IIx with Linn Basil + arm in 1992 when I purchased my ADCOM GCD575 CD Player. OK, that's a lie. I walk away from my Systemdek IIx when I broke the Cantilever to my Sumiko BPS for the s-e-c-o-n-d time in 2006. At $550.00 for refilling, it was interfering with my drinking and so I had to cut her loose. My newest Failed love affair is with my current Demanding mistress which is my Acurus ACD11 CD player and her demand bi yearly for an outboard DAC, $500 @!!!

Purely by accident, I discovered my ancient (pre 1984) Denon DL160 in the back of my closet (That I had retired early because of the syren call of the Sumiko BPS). It's like falling in fove with vinyl all over again!!! In the Army we used to brief 3 up/ 3down. So I will do here:

UPs:

SOUNDSTAGE: No cartridge, sub $3,000.00 can touch the Denon DL 160 on SoundStage. Read any review on it and they will scream Not just wide but W-I-D-E-S-T Sound Stage on the market today!!!

BASE & KICK DRUM are superb for the price. It Will readily pick up base notes 16hRz and lower. Think Japan Quiet Life, Herbie Handcock's Chameleon and Beatles Lovey Rita or While my Guitar Gently Weeps...or you can just put on MFSL's Love Forever Changes (45 rpm). Why go to church when you can stay at home, crank the volume to 85db and touch the face of GOD?!!!

HICAP MC: The Denon will go to places no self respecting Moving Coil will go. My Outboard Phono amp is a Bellari VP129 with Millard 12AUX7 valve (review coming). Can't run a Low Output MC on Valve equipment---which my Denon DL160 sneers at.

Downs:

DENON KILLED the DL160 in 2014. I bought mine for $160.00 in 1984. Used DL160s routinely go for $3-350 on EBAY. Thank God for the built in Anti Klutz Guard as refilling is not possible:

FUSSY &DEMANDING upon set up. The pressure gauge is 1.6-1.9 grams. Don't even THINK of installing one without a styli pressure gauge.

CONSTRAINED MIDS & TREBLE. We old Rockers lost our hearing in that range DECADES AGO so for us, no big. However if you are a fan of Opera Musique and Long Hair Chamber musique, this is not your cartridge, Hey, I traded up for a Sumiko BPS because I felt deprived. I adored the BPS on its life like MIDS & Highs but pouted my lips ?? at its anemic base and pinched soundstage. $600.00 cartridge---whattya want?!!!

You looking for a killah entry level ?? cartridge for your killah entry level table? This is your cartridge. You could send thousands more but why put a Porsche engine into a Volkswagen Beetle? Are you feeling me?!!!

Submitted by Fons Weijtens a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
I use this cartridge on a modified Dual 714Q turntable. Modified means that I've put more mass on the ULM tone arm of this still beautifull (40 years old) working turntable. Also recently I bought a acrylic mat instead of the standard rubber one. Also used for the months a rubber/cork mat. Aparently the combination of the acrylic mat and the heavier ULM tone arm does wonders! Im a dreaming or is there even more volume? When I close my eye's soundstage is very, very wide with lots of tiny placed details and the music is "flowing" with also a great very pleasant warmth in the music. Will I do even better, I'll have to buy a cartridge 4 times as exprensive I think. I listen to great audio for about 45 years and this is manna from heaven. So a little tweaking in a turntable pays off. I have a moderate priced phono-pre amp from Cambridge Audio, the 651P hooked on the MM entrance. I bought this excellent cartridge 4 years ago for only Euro 160 first hand and it is still shining. Very strongly recommened folks!!

Submitted by davetruestory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is my 6th cartridge worth more that a 100, but this beat the others in overall presentation, yes the Grado Platinum have better bass, the Sumiko Blue Point better highs, the At 440 better tracking, but the DL 160 have enough of those characteristics to do magic with every kind of music. In one phrase "the DL 160 is to cartridges, what the Grado 60 is to headphones".

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by sqlsavior a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I recently got an all-new (to me) 2-channel-only system. The cartridge and speakers were bought new, the rest used. I had been living for years with a crappy Technics P-Mount turntable, which was replaced by a Music Hall MMF-5. Although I had put an Ortofon MCP-15 moving coil on Technics, the turntable was just two noisy to get me excited about my records.

That has changed with my new system. I am hearing new detail and complexity on my LPs, sometimes for the first time. In particular, I can here bass tracks note-for-note, that used to disappear into the rest of the music. While some of this may be partly due to the rest of the system, that detail was turned into an electric signal first, by the cartridge.

I read other reviews of this cartridge here and at other sites, so I expected to be pleasantly surprised, and indeed I have been. I have had some very highly regarded cartridges in the past, and am hearing more now, so it can't be bad!
I love this cartridge and highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   Needle Doctor

Submitted by jandanhof a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
I think it is quite stunning to read so many reviews on such a small thing, the Denon DL-60 cartridge. I haven been using it for more than 10 years if I'm not mistaken. First on a Thorens 480 player, but later I switched to a Technics SL-1710 and it still amazes me how well it reproduces the music. And music is a thing we must enjoy foremost. I use it with a Rotel RA980-BX amplifier and this one has a very good phono stage, both for MM and MC cartridges. The DL-160 performs well with the MM output, but really shines on the MC output. It sounds crisp, clean, with lots of detail, depth and a lot of dynamics. A lot better anyway than all things I used before (Stanton, Shure and Pickering). I still have lots of LP's, so there is still a lot to enjoy. One example; I have a recording of Romeo and Juliet with Ricardo Muti and this LP has more dynamics than I ever got from the CD. After all these years it still astounds me. The price I paid is not exactly budget in my view, but worth every penny paid for it.

Purchased At:   Acoustique Hengelo