Denon DL-110 Cartridges

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

High output moving coil cartridge

Submitted by mike kerr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2017

Bottom Line:
my first experience with moving coil cartridge is a great one the Denon DL-110 has ticked all the boxes ,smooth and yet positive in performance in all music fabulous value fine product.system Project classic turntable,Croft Acoustics amplifier and Quad S2 speakers DL-110 fitted in well!!

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a cartridge that does everything right & nothing wrong, then look no further than the Denon DL-110. The performance you get for the money you spend is ridiculous. Rock, jazz, classical, it doesn't matter, the DL-110 can do it all. And for only $150. A no-brainer...

Submitted by Sean Fulop a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have used an old Thorens TD318 since 1995. Since then I have had several cartridges which have been up and down. The Grado Red performed horribly in this setup. There was a huge amount of tonearm resonance, it was really bad. I most recently have been using an AudioTechnica 440ML, and it was really quite beautiful, but already I can see how the Denon is blowing away its tracking skills. I have a couple of records that are so high-amplitude in the grooves that I cannot listen to them. They are totally distorted with any MM cartridge I have tried, including the AT. I tried them out with this Denon, and I was amazed. The Denon tracks the untrackable records! They sound quite nice, if a tad harsh. The Denon is superior to the tracking and sound of the AudioTechnica and certainly superior to the Grado in this setup. I think the Audiotechnica was a little quieter on old records, because of the microline stylus. Now all we need is a Grado HOMC with the stylus from a 440ML!

Submitted by Gino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite cartridge under 200,00$. I use it with a Linn Basik turntable and Linn Basik Plus tonearm. The main qualities of the Denon DL-110 are resolution, detail retrieval, dynamism, excellent tracking, natural high frequencies and warm midrange. The high frequencies are neither shrill nor dull, so they are just right! The midrange is particularly enjoyable with an instrument such as the piano. The bass frequencies are not as deep as those from the Ortofon 2M Blue but they are deeper than those from my Rega Apollo CD player. The surface noise is less present compared to the Ortofon 2M Blue. The Denon DL-110 works very well with the MM phono preamp of my Rega Mira integrated amplifier. Highly recommended and 5 stars for its value.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Kamyl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
This was an ebay purchase. We managed to secure it at a price far below the list price, so we were delighted to secure this beast at an amazing £72 (GBP). A breeze to install, with the only technical element being a simple removal of the Arcam Alpha 9's shell to switch the phono stage from MM to MC. The Denon sells itself as being compatible with MM settings due to its unusually high output for an MC cartridge; but selecting the MC output for the Arcam brought about a 3-fold increase in output. Put it this way: I'm glad I remembered to turn the volume knob down before listening to the first album. We are talking CD levels and more.
My first port of call to test the veracity of all the claims about this cartridge were the following albums:
Rush - 2112
Neil Young - Harvest
David Oistrakh - Beethoven's Violin Concerto (original EMI recording)
John Martyn - One World

It's hard to see beyond the warmth and level of detail that it's actually possible to extract from the Arcam Alpha 9 amp, but the Denon not only complimented the Arcam's tendency to fill the room with notes and pick/bow sounds from the artists it really did seem to measurably add to the level of accessible detail within the recordings. Both Oistrakh's bowing and Alex Lifeson's guitar playing revealed hidden depths and greater precision than even digital listening had hitherto exposed. The sound of the bow and the pick poised to hit notes simply made us smile and nod. What more can you ask from your hi-fi than to smile and nod appreciatively? Although, to be fair, this is not to say that the Denon only fairs well in the high ranges - this beastie can pull bass notes out of tunes without sounding like your woofers are going to implode! John Martyn's miraculous 'Small Hours' (One World) has a bass line running all the way through it than can sound threatening and annoying on lesser cartridges, but with the Denon it was an accompaniment, not an annoying and intrusive uninvited extra.

The Neil Young album had been sounding tired and marginally used up before we bought the Denon cartridge but we were delighted that it managed to extract every last ounce of atmosphere and magic from this, his greatest recording... maybe. The distortion we always heard on side one ('Harvest' and 'Heart of Gold' in particular) was completely gone, and all we got was Mr Young's vocals and lots (but not too much!) of his acoustic low 'E'. It was a Martin Dreadnought, Jim, but not as we knew it. The notes rippled nicely out of the Acoustic Energy speakers and we smiled a bit more.

This is a great wee cartridge. Ignore it at your peril!

Product model year:   2008