ClearAudio Virtuoso Wood Cartridges

• Tracking: 2.0-2.5g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by starguygwb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
    This reveiw is for two cartridge's, the Virtuoso Wood and the Maestro wood. I purchased the Marantz turntable with the Virtuoso cartridge for 1600.00 and listened for about 6 months. I love the bass and voices through it. Very nice warmth, female voices like Holly Cole seem to just shimmer through the speakers. Newer material such as The White Stripes Icky Thump also sound crisp and vibrant with alot of slam from Meg's drum's, and Jack White's guitar playing just smokes. A really good listen on 180 gram vinyl.
    I was very satisfied till I talked to my sales person about the pro's and con's of MM and MC and happened to inquire as to the difference between the Virtuoso and the Maestro. He said the Maestro had more bottom end and the mid range was more fluid. So I asked about trade in with mine and just about the difference of the two was all I had to pony up since mine was a new buy anyway. I'm glad I made the choice, I find myself lost in time when I listen to album's now. Seems even fuller and more truer with voice's, and I still can't believe the bass with both cartridge's.

Purchased At:   Music Direct

Submitted by SeanH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
    My first serious foray into the vinyl universe: I bought a VPI Scout based on reviews and the fact that it was made in America by a very solid and reputable company. My dealer advised the Virutoso Wood as a winning match with the VPI 9.0 arm. After the simple set-up of the table and the cartridge I played a few Lp's and immediately knew something special was happening. I could hear real voices singing and real musicians playing real instruments. Definitely a step beyond cd's and even SACD's.
    After some six months of listening and allowing the system to ease into sync I could tell there was a rich synergy of components. The music making continued to work its magic with a deeper bass and cleaner highs. One remarkable aspect of the Virtuoso is the extended treble. The midrange is very alive but not overly sweet. So you hear a very real performance depending on the recording.
    Careful set-up and tweaking of VTF and VTA will only enhance the experience. I have found with my combo that 2.1 VTF works quite nicely and a pretty low in the rear VTA really opens up the sound. I could not believe the diffence but it is like opening a window on a spring evening. Everything seems more alive and more crisp.
    There is a winning sense of rhythm. A great pacing to the music. If you like drums and bass, well then you get a hoppin' boogie factor. I find myself really enjoying old blues and rock that I normally don't listen to much anymore. The timing is so lively. No doubt the Scout plays a major role but the Virtuoso keeps the flames lit all night long.
    To say that listening to this combo is an emotional experience is perhaps an understatement. I am sure others will not feel the same, perhaps nitpicking the bass as not tight enough or the midrange as slightly on the dry side but I just enjoy the music, especially the vocals, the strings.
    To find fault with the cartridge at this price point is utterly foolish. As Harry says just enjoy the music. For the Virtuoso will reward the listener with music of a very refined and lively degree.

Purchased At:   HiEnd Broker (Nether