Benz Micro MC-Silver Cartridges

• Frequency response: 20 - 25,000 Hz
  • Optimum working temperature: 23° C

Submitted by Magnus H?germyr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
I like this!
The music comes out of the speakerboxes, out in the livingroom and vibrate against your skin. You can feel a drum or a guitar chord hit you in a nice way. The bas is corefull and strong. Benz Micro drives your stereo equipment very powerfull and makes your amp sound bigger than it is. It's a lot of fun, to put it simple. And there is deepness and space.

Unfortunately for me my hifi-shop was out of them and they fooled me to buy a Rega Exact instead this time around and it's not anywhere in the neighbourhood in sound quality to Benz Micro MC-Silver. (But more expensive!) A lesson to be learned.

Submitted by Effin018 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Benz Micro Silver Cartridge from Zwitzerland, purchase price in EURO's!

Coming from Project Debut with Ortofon OMB5 cartridge, later with Denon DL160 cartrdige, I recently bought the Project 6.1. First I installed the Denon cartridge, but since 20 hours I listen to the famous Benz Micro Silver and I have upgraded some cables (van den Hul the Well and Bay C5)
System set up:
Swans Diva 5.1 speakers, bi-wired with van den Hul CS122 on bass and van den Hul MC352 on mid and high. NAD C320 amp, Marantz CD63MKII KI with Canare coaxial interlink to California Audio Labs Gamma DA-converter, Standdesign audio-rack, MFE cable for current, separate group for the audio-equipment, van den Hull the Well between Project and NAD PP1, and van den Hul Bay C5 between NAD PP1 and NAD C320. and a beautiful wife that likes music too!

Purchased At:   Hifi Studio City, En

Submitted by Jerry O. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
This cartridge brings the music alive. Very detailed. But, it also enhances record noise and the bass is not quite as full as a comparable mm cartridge.

Submitted by Rudy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
Recently upgraded to the Micro Silver from the Sumiko Blue Point. This cartridge has eliminated the sometimes too shrill highs from the Blue Point.Details, soundstage and imaging have vastly improved. Bass is not quite as fast but is tighter than the Blue Point. The sound is on the warm side of neutral but not quite as warm as the Shure V-15. Overall a 4 star sound.

Turntable- Rotel RB900 with Audioquest Sorbothane mat on 2" concrete base.

Preamp-B&K Pro10MC
Power Amp- B&K ST140
Speakers- Paradigm 7SE Mk III

Submitted by William Kelley a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded my turntable to a (used) Linn Sondek LP12 (Valhalla/Ittok LVII) and at the same time bought the Lehmann Black Cube and the Benz Micro MC Silver. As far as I can tell the MC Silver is a high output (2.0mV) version of the MC Gold.
As you might immagine it is difficult to credit one product when upgrading an entire front end, but let me say that I am very happy with all of them!! I initially had my heart set on the very visually appealing Grado Ref. Platnum, but after auditioning that cartridge at the same time as the Benz it really wasn't much of a choice. What I heard was more extended and clean highs, tighter (if diminished in quantity) bass and better image focus. To me these added up to a more natural sound. It also reproduces a lot of detail while still being "easy" or "pleasant" to listen to (esp.with the 100 Ohm cartridge loading that I like to use at night when it seems to sound better).

Note that I did not audition the Blue Point Special or MC Gold (As soon as I heard Nat King Cole with the Silver I was hooked and wanted to get home and start playing records...

Atlantic Technology: