Benz Micro MC-Gold Cartridges

• Output voltage: 0.4 mV at 3.54 cm/s
  • Frequency response: 20 - 25,000 Hz

Submitted by Tadman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Hi

Well, this cartridge is a real price stunner! I owned an Ortofon Rohmann before this cartridge this was selected for reviews. However, the Rohmann broke down two times due to some problems with their silver wiring. Last time I sent it for repair Ortofon never refund the cartridge. Therefore, I went for the cheap Benz Gold low output and I must say that I played around this cartridge for a long time. I like it a lot more than the Rohmann to be honest. Claims against this cartridge on this site may have something to do with model. Please select the model with lowest output! I tried the Benz H2O also and it was slow and dull.

Finally, I gave it to a good friend of mine who played around the Denon DL 103 for years. He said that this Benz was a lot better than the DL 103. I certainly agree!!!!!

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by glrickaby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'm at a loss on where to begin with this
cartridge. It conveys the sense of
vinyl better than anything I've ever heard before. While my ears no longer have
the frequency range of a young listener,
the original quality of the recording, with no boosted treble brightness or attenuated bass, really comes through. The
rattle of the strings or hiss of the snare,has a focus that is new and rather
startling to one who has heard pretty much
what the low and middle cartridge line
industry has produced. I admit to being a
moving magnet rather than moving coil enthusiast. My past experience with moving coil is with terrific highs but rather weak on bass. This cartridge belies that bias with a full range from
low to high, without the coloration in the high range which is in many MM units.
For an elliptical stylus unit, the detail
seems remarkable. In my favorite classical
recordings, whether string quartets or
symphonies, the Benz Gold gives all the
sense of the original performance that is
there, including the ambiance of the hall
or setting. Conversly, a bad recording from the early days of stereo, is never really bad, simply real or what it is. I'm
in the process of selling my other units,
except the Goldrings, and hope to sqeeze further life out of the Benz Gold before the trade in time comes!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by mvm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
There is something puzzling about some of the reviews that can be found in this website, and that is the great amount of summarily dismissive reviews. I can understand the anger of someone who had a broken cantilever and was refused free servicing, as one of the reviewers below, but most others are merely destructive. Quite why they do so I don't know, but I suspect some people just have nothing more interesting to say...
But that is not the point. The Benz Micro MC Gold was the cartridge I chose to supersede my "dead" Ortofon MC 15 Super II. I didn't install it myself; rather, I trusted my friendly dealer to do it. (Maybe some of the reviewers here should have done the same!)
After a proper burn-in, it came out as a wonderfully refined cartridge that took my music several steps closer to realism. The MC Gold built on the strengths of dynamics and detail of the Ortofon and brought more refinement and better - much better, actually - imaging to my system. It is not perfect: it is rather unforgiving of poor records, but it's just doing its job, I guess. But what it does right is does very well: instrumental separation is first class, as is the soundstage depth and width. Dynamics are uncontrived and detail is even more lucid than with the Ortofon, which nonetheless is a great performer in this respect. Voices and solo instruments are very natural, being clearly brought to the fore in a forceful way, and there's a "hear-through" feeling that is delightful to listen to.
Also, this is a very fast cartridge, with a bass that is simultaneously fast and powerful, though ultimately not very extended. Treble is also tasteful to listen to and, even though the Ortofon's treble was more "powerful", I find the Benz Micro to be a shade more refined in the upper registers.

Purchased At:   Oporto

Submitted by AyreV3MKIII ProAc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
"BenzMicro MC Gold", it has very good audio performance, although it cannot compare with their higher model "Ruby & down to ACE", but it own with itself average audio performance style in (comfortable sweet NOT colored, natural vocal, mirco-dynamic signal are very detail & clear, bass is comfortable & surrounding NOT much punch), so it is not a colored dynamic phono cartridge, it is designed for natural sound.

And surrounding all same price products, it is the best of the best choice, if you like a sound with closely to natural.

I had used Grado Reference Sonata, it is very best, but it cannot produce a sound very closely natural, it is very detail plus little bright in high frequency & vocal, and it prices is approx.US$700~800.

Purchased At:   HK

Submitted by Tan HK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This cartridge tracked very well and very quietly. This cartridge is about refinement not excitement. Vocal and instruments sounds natural. Bass and treble is decent for the price if properly set up. Main complaint is the lack of dynamics so volume may have to be cranked up. Adjustment is very critical for this cartridge. Pay attention to the VTA as the cartridge appear to be shallower than some. On the whole better cartridge can be bought for that amount of money.

Purchased At:   retail outlet