Audio-Technica AT440ML Cartridges

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)

Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge
  • Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz*
  • Channel Separation: 30/20 (dB at 1 kHz/ 10 kHz)
  • Tracking Force Range: 0.75-1.75 g
  • Stylus Construction: Nude square shank
  • Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
  • Output: 4 (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
  • Channel Balance: 0.8 dB
  • Stylus Shape: MicroLine™
  • Cantilever: Gold-plated boron
  • Mount: 1/2" centers
  • Replacement Stylus: ATN150MLX

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by johnjohn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2014

Bottom Line:
    I'm finding that the brightness of this cartridge is turntable dependent and to a lesser extent tonearm. Cable capacitance makes a difference but I think turntable material makes a bigger difference. AT440MLA prefers tables with lots of wood for terminating the tonearm. Will sound bright if installed on turntables using metal arm plate or subchassis. Right now this cartridge sounds fantastic on my Thorens TD320 MkIII using TP90 arm - dynamic, fast and not a hint of brightness. I tried it on a TD160Super with Grace 747 and despite more ideal arm/cartridge mass resonance it was a little bright. Since Grace is quality tonearm, the cartridge must not like low mass arms. Also tried it on LP12 with medium mass Ittok, wasn't too bright and good mids but bass was loose with felt mat. Have not tried on my Technics 1800. Suspect it will also be a little bright.

Submitted by stratman672001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
    I actually have both the 440ML and the newer 440MLa. And to tell the truth the MLa is a touch more refined than the ML. I originally bought the ML in 2003 and had it mounted on a Pioneer PL400 'table and was duely impressed. A pretty uniform response although a little steely in the high end. My brother in law was also very impressed with its performance and actually preferred its bass response to his own V15 III. I did eventually wear out the stylus but never replaced it (it cost as much as the cart itself at the time). I popped it off and put in a vastly inferior Pickering TL-3. A few years later I had heard about the improved 440MLa and decided to try it out. This unit is worth every penny. Still very flat response and a tamed top end, but eventually the 'table I had it mounted on died (it was 27 years old and for $99 I had gotten my money's worth indeed). I picked up a Rega P3-24 and mounted the MLa and was greeted by a great sound... And a low level 60 cycle hum. It would seem that neither the Rega's motor and AT's cart designs are shielded (this is a problem with Grados as well). This isn't so noticable on loud rock songs, but on quieter recordings such as Frank Sinatra's "Sings for Only the Lonely" it is glaring and unacceptable. I am now looking into other slightly more expensive carts. The Ortofon 2m Black looks very inviting, but I digress. So all in all this is an excellent cart with the right table. Synergy synergy synergy.

Submitted by davetruestory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
    My experience with this cartridge concur with everything said before with the exception, that mounted on my Linn Basik/Akito outfit the highs become liquid. A characteristic that easily can become addictive. For me it excel with acoustic music: pop, jazz or classical, especially with female vocalist like Patricia Barber, Eva Cassidy etc. And on a final note, about this ridiculous thin that the 440 have cd sound I put it to the test using lps and cds from the same label. Like MoFi lp and cd Steely Dan Aja Album or Chesky records Rebeca Pigeon The Raven lp vs cd. In both comparison I found that the lp version sounded more musical and warmer than the cd.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by D. Paul Navigator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
    Amount paid $84

Terrific, and maybe the best buy cartridge on the market. If I was going to improve on this cartridge, the next step would be an Audio Technica moving coil. It tracks better than any cartridge I've ever used (I used many), including my second table and cartridge the AT311ED with the Shibata stylus (my second favorite). It's micro linear design, which rides a path similar to the original cutter on the record master (V shaped stylus). The output of this cartridge is very sensitive to the quality of your preamp, so if yours doesn't have the sound you expect, try replacing your preamp and bi-pass the one on your receiver. After all, if you had a moving coil you would match the quality of the cartridge with a similar quality preamp, now wouldn't you? The highs are airy and detailed, the mid range is there without that honkiness that older cartridges give you. My bass is solid (keeping in mind that bass is weak on some older records). Several of my Buddy Miles albums really hit the low notes, while other albums don't seem to have a lot (output equals input). Some others have said this stylus could track the Telac 1812 cannon shots, and they are absolutely correct, as very few others will consistently stay in the track. I only gave the rating 4 stars on "money doesn't matter", because a great moving coil cartridge this is not. However, it might be the best Moving Magnet you would ever want to invest in.

Submitted by automaticmojo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
    While this cartridge has all the nice design features and great stylus design, it's real world execution leaves a bit to be desired.
    The 3 main problems I have found, after 100 hours of use. 1st, It is over analytical, in the highs. The detail is harsh, and lacks musicality. Reminds me of badly mastered 1st generation CD's. 2nd, the midrange is suspect, piano solo's come off as blurry, off balance and unfocused, as best I can desrcibe..far from sounding realistic.
    3rd, the bass is a bit lean on many 70's rock albums, and particuliarly Beatles(60's) lp's. This I could live with, but the overall balance of this catridge makes it hard to listen to IMHO.
    I would suggest a Audio Technica 120 E/T. At $80, and after break in (the suggested 100 hour break is exagterated in my experience, around 20-35 hours and it sounds great-the brightness subsiding) the overall balance is much better. The lows are fast and quick, without being lean, or bloated. The mids are sweet and accurate, and the highs are crystal clear and sweet, no harshness here.
    You can save a minimum of $40 off the current LP Gear price, and save it for extra vinyl, cleaning supplies, what ever.
    I think the bodies of these 2 cartridges are similiar in design. Perhaps the micro ridge stylus of the 440mla is less ideal than the .3x.7 elliptical in this body design.
    I have found quite a few people who have some problems with the sound of the 440mla, but few if any who don't appreciate the 120 e/t.

Product model year:   2008