Vincent Audio SP-998
Description: <ul> <li>Frequency response: 10 Hz - 50 kHz +/- 0.5 dB</li> <li>Nominal Output Power RMS/8 Ohm: 300W</li> <li>Signal-Noise ratio: > 95 dB</li> <li>Input impedance: 47 kOhm</li> <li>Outputs: 4 x Speaker Terminal</li> </ul>

Submitted by ac81017 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of SP991plus, SP998 and the SA-T8 pre-amp. In the past i´ve had Audio research, Accuphase and Mcintosh to power my Infinity IRS Beta, I have to say i was against german design made in China, but hey, most things these days are made in China anyway.

The Vincent SP998 and most of there other products are fantastic. Good design, lots of power.
Vincent do have a commen problem, the relays, they don´t last long, best thing is to change them, it doesn´t cost much.

Unlike the idiot with the Dynaudio Focus 340 who´s trying to blow his brains out, buy Cerwin-vega or Bose 901 instead of those little Focus 340 boxes if you want to play loud. My Vincent rig together with my Infinity IRS Beat will bring down the house, I´ve never had the volume more than 10-11 o´clock because that´s when you plug your ears with your fingers!!!

Unlike most people, i have friends who also live in the high-end world, and we´re constantly buying, borrowing and testing. I had a pair of Mcintosh mc402 and the C46 preamp, did a shoot out with my Vincent, they sounded almost the same apart from Vincent had more control over the bass. My bass tower are servo controlled and are super sensative to what power amp you use.

I hope my Vincent will last for many years to come.

Submitted by Maurice a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased the pair of SP-998 Mono blocks with the so-called Vincent 'premium line' SA-T8 pre-amp to power these beasts. I found the pre-amp to be light and flimsy, not well made and caused alot of interference in the output stages. I lost money and traded it a week later for the solid line SA-94. Firstly, I want to say I am on my third SP-998 due to problems!! and still when they are side by side the blue power lights are brighter than each other by a big margin and it is frustrating in a dark room. There appears to be no quality control in manufacturing.

I bought these powerful amps to run Dynaudio Focus 340 speakers @ 4 ohms, but it is pointless advertising these amps with massive power capabilities!! when Vincent provide a Pre-Amp that is designed to NOT allow you access to the power on tap!! (to protect your hearing) according to the instruction manual that states, 'the pre-amp gain will stop well short of the power available on the amp to protect your hearing'. It is so frustrating!! I like to play loud music and I am being stopped from having access to an amp that on one hand boasts huge power capabilities, and on the other hand the same company sells you a matching product that won't allow you access to the power!!!! I am selling this gear and staying away from Vincent altogether