PrimaLuna ProLogue Five
Description: <LI>Output: 36 watts x 2 <LI>Freq. Response: 20Hz-85kHz /- .5dB <LI>THD: Less than 1 percent at full power <LI>S/N Ratio: 89dB <LI>Input Sensitivity: 810mV <LI>Input Impedance: 100k Ohms <LI>Power Consumption: 225 watts <LI>Dimensions: 11" x 7.5" x 15.5" (WxHxD) <LI>Weight: 37.5 lbs <LI>Inputs: 1 pair RCA <LI>Outputs: 4 and 8 Ohm speaker taps <LI>Tube Compliment: 2 - 12AX7, 2 - 12AU7, 4 - KT88

Submitted by Doug Reid a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
I had been aware of the Prologue 5 since it was introduced, and was impressed. I was finally able to purchase mine when I found out it was on sale for $1449. I was happy with my 300B monoblocks for most music, but wanted more power for amassed symphonic and choral works. This amplifier rocks but does not sacrifice the delicacy of the 300B's. I am running Tannoy SRM 15X speakers, 94db efficient, and I cannot hear any hum right up by the drivers. Every type of music is well-served and very believable. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Brian Snowden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
The Prologue 5 is a compact but heavy and elegantly-styled power amp that is extremely well designed and built. It offers 36 watts per channel, something that I had to think carefully about when making my purchase decision. This amp replaced a 200 watt solid state piece in my system, and I was driving a pair of Thiel CS2.4 speakers. The Thiels are pretty big and heavy, but are considered reasonably efficient. Still, I wondered about 36 watts. Well, the results have been outstanding. The Prologue drives those Thiels without a problem. I listen primarily to classical, so there are times when I want to reproduce the sound of a big symphony orchestra playing a huge piece of music and have it sound as if I were hearing it live (adjusted for my listening room, of course). The Prologue does it beautifully. What I really like also is the warm sound of natural instruments, such as strings and piano, since I listen to a lot of chamber music. When I change pace occasionally, and listen to jazz, I have no loss of enjoyment whatsoever. Jazz vocal music is a favorite, and again I can close my eyes and imagine being in a club with the musicians right there before me. If you want excellent value for the money and think it is time to try tubes, this is an amp you must consider. By the way, the tubes heat up, but they don't radiate heat. I have detected no hum - 0 - even when I put my ear up close to the speakers. My congratulations to PrimaLuna and the US distributor, Upscale Audio.

Product model year:   2008

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio

Submitted by mbuc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
After owning this amp for 11 months I've sold it again. I powered a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors (preamp EAR 864) with it and although at first I was seduced by the sound, the huge soundstage, the strong bass and emotional mids, in the end the treble wasn't smooth enough for my taste. It's very forward sounding and has an astonishing presence. In my small listening room (approx 16 m²) treble became harsh at times. Too harsh on the long run.

I now listen with great satisfaction to the same system with a Luxman L-505f integrated. The tubes had a deeper soundstage and overal sounded a tiny little bit more natural but only now I notice the lack of speaker control the PL5 had.

It may match better with other speakers.

Submitted by Chris Sherman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was heavy into mosfet amps and built 4 Musical Concepts PA3B DH200/220's with all the goodies Black Gates , 27,000uf 80v power supply caps, the works as well as two similiarly modified B&K ST140's paired with Parasound preamps and Monitor Audio Speakers . I then got the itch to try tubes after a few miscues with Jolida, Antique Audio, I purchased a Prologue II, which has been replaced with the Prologue 5 and a Rogue 66 Magnum, giving me remote volume control. I love the Prologue 5. The only thing better would be a pair of Prologue 7 monoblocks. In my second system I went through a similiar plethora of amps, Jolida, Cayin TA30 modded, to an AE25 standard then Signature also paired with another Rogue 66 Magnum tube preamp. After realizing I never use the remote as I can reach the rack from my chair, I sold the AE signature Super amp and rogue preamp and replaced them with a Prologue I. I guess I've come full circle. I highly recommend saving yourself some aggravation and just deciding or better yet calling Kevin at Upscale and asking him what Prima Luna Prologue to fit your needs/system.They are the best tube amps for the money I have ever heard.

Purchased At:   Audiogon