Meridian 555
Description: 75 Watts

Submitted by Audioescape a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
I use the Meridian 555 power amp with my Meridian 502 preamp and love the results. Good grip on bass and a smooth mid range with excellent resolution. Treble is clean with good extension and never harsh. This is great for someone who wants versatility with all types of music and is well balanced across the range. 65watts dual mono design is conservatively rated - doesnt run out of steam driiving to quite loud levels with 85+db speakers.

Submitted by brandonhu a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Luckily, I happened to buy meridian 501 and 555 separately but to find them such a heavenly match. The sound is incredibly well-definedly charming to the ears. When I changed my CDP to a higher level. The 501+555 never failed me but made delighted time after time.
The only reason I'll replace 555 is to upgrade it to 556 or even 557.
If you have a chance to listen to this great combo or can buy it at a fair price, never miss it.
The combo can give you a wonderful listening experience in a small room.

Submitted by M. Voss a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have been shopping for either an integrated or a amp-preamp combo such as some of the equipment made by Accurus, Arcam, Bryston, etc.
I was at my local hi-fi shop and lo-and-behold one of the employees mentioned he was selling his Meridian 501/555 amp/preamp combo for a price right in the range I was looking.

I listened to the combo with a Meridian CD Player (don't remember which one, but not the top of the line) and a pair of B&W CDM7SE speakers.

I was impressed. Smooth, easy to listen to with defined bass and a mid-range and high-end that was most certainly available, but certainly not offensive or intrusive. Of course I am speaking fo the combo and did not try the 501 with other power amps. The soundstage was excellent, very articulate and not muddy. I was hearing much of the detail and presence on this system that I was hearing on their reference Levinson / B&W system in the "I bought a bunch of Dell shares 3+ years ago" room. I ran the system through the paces with my "sounds good" music and even stuck in some Pet Shop Boys and it maintained its character.

I think this was a good amp/speaker match, I tried a pair of Vienna Acoustics speakers with the same set-up in the same room and I was not nearly as impressed.

Any comments or experiences with the Meridian 501/555 combo ???

I haven't bought yet, but if it sounds as good in-house as it did in-store, I will.