McIntosh MC162
Description: 160w x2 Channels

Submitted by Efort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a demo, and was used to using Rotel gear. I was a little skeptical at going from a 200w per channel amp to a 100w@8ohms, I felt I was stepping back, boy was I wrong. I lugged this home and set it up with my Rotel preamp, right off the bat I noticed a difference. The amp just seemed alot smoother over the Rotel, more laid back. After about a week, I said to myself, there must be somthing more I'm missing. So I went back to the dealer and bought a McIntosh C-41 preamp. Amazing, that's the only way to describe it. The Rotel gear was great, but the McIntosh gear just takes it to another level. I'm currently hunting down another MC-162 (there discontinued) so I can have a pair and bridge them. Can't wait.

My System

McIntosh MC162 amp
McIntosh C41 preamp
Music Hall mmf-25 (with upgrades)
Music Hall mmf-9 turntable
B&W 604s3
All MIT cables

Purchased At:   Audio Concepts

Submitted by Skyhawk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I listened to this product for about 2 hours. Connect to Energy Veritas 2.4 and Bryston SP 1.7 Pre/processor.

If I had to pick a word it would be liquid. The amp had terrific soundstage, and good overall tonal balance.

The sound of this amp is very "laid back" to say the least. The bass is not intrussive, but punchy. The highs seemed to roll off, and the mids were accurate.

BUT This fine amp ran out of steam long before a satisfactory reference volume.

Submitted by naveedafridi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent amp. It is a heavy, durable looking component. Simple and elegant.

The sound is secure, solid, detailed and musical. Thsi is the first amp, that moments after starting, I forget the amp, and my system, and find myself immersed in the music. No harshness or fatigue. There is no grain in the upper registers. Bass is strong and detailed.

And you have to like those VU meters. McIntosh blue....wow.

Purchased At:   Team Electronics

Submitted by George a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I finally ended my 2 month long search for my main music system amplifier by choosing the McIntosh MC162. This amp is highly musical in every regard! It presents a very accurate, open, airy, believable soundstage with seemingly no coloration or signature of it's own. The music is just there, pure and simple, and the overall sound is unfatiguing and typical 'Mac like'. Timbral accuracy and detail is stunning in accordance with 'better' electronics in one's system. All in all, I liked it's sound better than the others mentioned above that I also auditioned in my quest for the best amp money can buy for up to 2K. The MC162 presents the music in such a way that makes you feel 'you are there'. All the R&D that goes into a 'Mac' product is very evident in listening to this wonderful amplifier, given it's musicality and accuracy. Do yourself a big favor, and give this one a listen before you plunk down your moolah on others! It's that good!

My equipment:

DH Labs T-14 speaker cabling

Purchased At:   AudioCraft

Submitted by Dan Crosby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a review of taking two MC-162 amplifiers and bridging them and then using them to provide the power to not one set of Paradigm Sudio 100 v2, but to two sets of them as them are my front speakers for my home theatre and stereo. This is a little extreme, and it works great. For the upper half I am using two 105 watt monoblock Antique Sound Lab amps. Very Sweet. The thing I love about the McIntosh is that they have a huge reserve and can truly put out the bass.

It use have the funds or the speakers, try taking two of them and bridging them, and by suprised!

Purchased At:   Stereo Showcase