Electrocompaniet NEMO Monaural Reference
Description: Monoblocks

Submitted by Lung a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I replaced my Electro AW180 with the Nemos, my immediate response was "wow! where did all that weight come from?" It is by far the best amp I have heard so far. When I compare the Nemo with the high-end Goldmund 39.4, the later sounds too clinical, too sweet and perhaps a little too fast for my liking. The Nemos are definately more musical and weighty. Incidentally, I am running the Nemos with:

Sonus Faber Amati speakers #008 (the first pair in SE Asia)
Electrocompaniet 4.6 pre-amp
Goldmund 39 transport
Stellavox ST2 DAC
Tice Signature series Power block III conditioner
Tice Power cables for all source equipment
NBS digital cable (a little too fast for my liking)
Transparent Reference series speaker and interconnects

I also A/B tested the Nemos with the Electro 180s (comparing Australian apples with New Zealand apples). Both had similar characteristics, smooth liquid highs and tight bass...but the Nemo just had more of everything...and it delivered the music so effortlessly and musically. These babies can "slam" too, when you crank it up-check out Dave Grusins "Keep your eye on the sparrow" Sheffield Lab recording.

The Nemos are simply the best amps I have heard in a long time. Worth checking out if you are going to spend on a high-end Krell or Mark.

Submitted by Glenn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have spent the last 6 months looking around for a replacement for my Levinson reference mono amplifiers (old model)which had been destroyed in a domestic accident.
I have listened to the top setups from Levinson, Krell Rowland et al and was getting very frustrated as the only sound that I liked was from new Levinson reference monos. Unfortunately here in Europe these are selling for more in pounds sterling than they cost in dollars in the US and I don't like being ripped off.
Eventually I read an old review in a US mag, I think it was Stereophile, and decided to try and audition a pair of the nemos and wow!!!
I placed an order immediately after the demo and after a long wait have been listening to these amps partnered with the following equipment:
Oxford Crystal reference turntable (150lbs of brass and dark wood) SME 5 arm, various cartridges.
Meridian Pro CD
Elacrocompaniet 4.7 Pre (bought with the nemos as my previous amp, a MF Nu vista doesn't run balanced)
Apogess Stage speakers.
I don't intend to go on in the usual style giving my impressions and thoughts, as I think every listener has different musical aspirations and views and should listen to anything at this level and judge for themselves.
If however you like unsurpassed power and your music reproduced faithfully with everything in tact but with no harsh edges and an ability to keep you listening to your music collection when you really should be going to bed or out to dinner or to work then do yourself a favour and listen to these amps.
All I can say is that having heard an awful lot of top systems lately I found these amps to be the best at any price.

Purchased At:   Sound of Music, Kent , England

Submitted by Paul S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
Experienced with Nautilus 801's loudspeakers. See my review of B&W nautilus 801's.

Electrocompaniet NEMOS's are in my opinion the absolute in high performance power amplifiers. If checking out other brands, be prepared to pay 2 - 3 times more. NEMO's will be able to drive ANY speaker on the market. Even small speakers sound "big" when used with NEMO's.