Counterpoint NPS 100A
MSRP  1995.00
Description: 65 watts

Submitted by A. Silva a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I buy my NPS-100 with only 10 hours of use, and 4 years stores in it's box.
I really love this amp. It is a very good partner of my Totem M-1. Very natural sound and vocal reproduction, big soundstage, good bass. This hybrid amp show it best capability in highs, (no grain is audible) and the natural midband.
I'm very sorry that Counterpoint is now out of business.
If you want a very good sound, try one second hand Counterpoint before you wipe out your walet.

Submitted by Tom a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I broke down and had all of Mike Elliott's modifications done on this amp (my review posted below), after hearing how his mods improved my SA-3000 preamp. I am now revelling in totally grain free, holographic, detailed, yet warm and dimensional sound.

The amp hums in the left channel now which I'm trying to deal with with Mike's help. This is only noticeable with no music playing. Otherwise the thing is dead quiet.

I am extremely impressed. I would have to spend at least $5-$7k new to get better, and I have no intention of doing that!

Submitted by Tom a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1998

Bottom Line:
This is an amp with tubed power-supply/rectification and solid state (bipolar) output stage, 65w/ch into 8ohms, 100w into 4 ohms, zero feedback, dual mono design, balanced operation. Great detail (I upgraded from a Parasound HCA 1000, which now sounds to me unrefined). Given good upstream components and reasonably sensitive speakers (also stay away from under - 3 ohm loads) this amp is fabulous. No longer made, unfortunately, but they are out there used, along with biger brothers NPS-200 and NPS-400, as well as the NPM monos. Try to get the mkII version. Also, Mike Elliott does modifications so he can update any amp.

If you're looking for a tube amp with more than usual power, reasonable cost, and beautiful tube sound, keep an eye out for one of these. They retailed for $2500, I got my demo model for $1800, used they are sure to be under $1000.

I'll give this one 4.5 on an absolute basis, since there are "better" amps out there, but not clearly better tube amps for the $.

Associated components: NAD turntable, Grado Ref. Platinum cartridge, EAD Ultradisc 2000, Classe CP-30 preamp (soon: modified Counterpoint SA-3000a), Morel Acoustics speakers, Nordost and Cardas cable.