Classe CA-200
Description: 200 watts

Submitted by Majico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
Fantastic sounding amp, it beat the absolute hell out of a Rotel RB1090 and also an NAD M3 integrated amp ( I auditioned all of them inside my home for several months)The Classe sounded terrific, and that was before I upgraded my sound card.

I wish I still owned this amp.

Submitted by pangl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This amp is decent sounding, with tube-like warmth. However, at the price tag of $1600 used, you will get better deal around. Try getting an used mark Levinson 29 ($999), 27 ($1500) or 23 ($1900), you get way better bang for your money.

In my setup with CP-60 and this CA200, the sound is surprisingly dry when couple with NBS cables and Newform Research R645 ribbon speakers. Definitely not as fast as Mark Levinson, and the lose bass when playing orchestral music is rather unbearable to my ears. The CA200 does an admirable job with vocals, but then again, you will get a better value elsewhere.

Finally, the amp's reliability is very questionable. I don't have problem with it. But I have problem when I sell it. Basically, this amp (200W into 8ohm) can't stand low impedance load. The new buyer, who got himself an Martin Logan CL2, simply *toasted* this amp EVEN WHEN CLASSE TECH SUPPORT SAYS CA200 HAS ALL KINDS OF PROTECTION CIRCUITY.

Of course, even Classe tech support is superb professional and courteous in fixing the amp AT MY EXPENSE (not very expensive, but it's $$$$$ anyway), they refused to put thus shortcoming in writing. So I ended up having the buyer accused me of selling lemon, demanded (and got) full refund from me (because I can't prove in writing that it's his speaker's problem), and I puked out $500 + shipping to fix it and then have to sell it like dirt due to its service record.

Try an ML #23 (dual mono, 200W into 8ohm and keep doubling with lower impedenace in Class A), just $250-300 more, you get WAY BETTER performance!

Purchased At:   GTT Audio & Video, N

Submitted by Benlinn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Classe' i bought could be the most cheap CA-200 in the world...well it happens that the audio store keeper does have no idea how good CA-200 is.

Current stuff:
WADIA 8 + VIMAK DS1800
Gryphon Bel Canto
Classe' CA200, runs the woofer
Krell KSA50S, runs the mid + tweeter
B&W Matrix 801S3
great for Classic & Chamber music

What I can say is that CA200 runs very very well.

Have compared with other amp like Classe' 70, Gryphon S100, Hafler XL280(monox mono) and Krell KSA100S, and found the CA200 runs the most balanced and vivid the woofer of 801S3 with excellent control.The bass is tight and with the sense of high speed.

By the way, KSA50S runs wonderfully the mid+tweeter, and is the best match with CA200 when bi-amp for the M801S3. may try the combination if you happen to own the 801s3, but do not content it performance.

Purchased At:   Taipei

Submitted by jay lartac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just stumbled upon this website and I agree 100% with what the other reviews are saying regarding this amp.
THIS AMP ROCKS.I feel this amp is on the line that divides solid state and tubes. It sounds warm enough to sound like a tube amp but has the bass slam of a solid state. Also much more reliable and you don't have to deal with maintenance(replacing tubes, although I do have an ARC LS7). The warranty is superb and gives you peace of mind with your investment. Customer service is great. The left channel got fried a couple of years ago I sent it back to Classe(thru my dealer) and got it back within a month. It seems some DC voltage managed to slip by the protection circuits and shorted out the whole main board.
Other than that episode this amp is flawless and if I ever think of upgrading my amp(very slim chance-got 3 kids)I will only look in the direction of Classe (maybe that Omega amp).

My current set-up:

Classe CA 200 amp
Wadia 850 CD player
Audio Research Pre-amp LS-7
Martin Logan Aerius / Magnepan 2.7 QR (i switch between the two from time to time)

I've spent a lot of time and MONEY(ask my wife) in putting this system together and I'm very happy with the result.

Purchased At:   Sound ll , Mass.

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amp has excellent control of the low end, although it is a bit rounded. You may miss some slam in certain things but it's presentation is nevertheless good. You really sense it is in control, and that control clearly extends into the midband.

The midrange is very bloomy and warm, and very tubelike. There's no question this amp puts it's own signature on the sound event, but it's a fairly delicious one. It's different from a CJ midrange, and I'm not sure which I like best. I think the CJ has more musicality, this has more of a bloom. It's like thick honey. Liquid, but not running too fast.

It's built like a tank, weighs a ton, and looks far better in person than it does in most pictures. It is clearly capable of driving just about any load you need it to.

I noticed it wanted to absorb some RF if the cables touched the fins anywhere, but careful placement eliminated that. It does run quite hot as well. But it's good to go and will not be the weak link in your system.