Cary Audio Design SLAM 100
Description: - Power Transformer(s): 1 ea - EI Laminate, 200% Duty Cycle.<br>- Output Transformer(s): 1 ea - EI Laminate Push/Pull 300 Watt @ 200% Duty Cycle. <br>- Resistors: 1% Metal Film.<br>- Break-In Time: 100 Hours.<br>- Finish: Black Anodized Faceplate, Chrome Plated Stainless Steel Chassis.<br>- AC Power RMS 120/240 Volts @ 50/60 Hz Consumption 180Watts Operation 75Watts Stand By.<br>- Circuit Type: Push/Pull Class AB.<br>- Power Output: 90 Watts Triode 150 Watts Ultra-linear.<br>- Input Sensitivity: 1.0 Volt for full output.<br>- Noise and Hum: -84 dB below full output.

Submitted by David R Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
3 day in-home demo: I can't forget the sound of these beautiful and artful tube monoblocks on my MartinLogin Monolith IIIs electrostatics. I returned the amps to my dealer and since his $$ was too steep, I declined to purchase - not being really convinced at the time. I purchased a Pass X350 from a private seller. The Pass is the best SS amp I have ever heard and is very impressive in many ways, but I still recall the SLAM-100 magical liquid mid and upper range. Extremely realistic sound when driving the ML speakers. The MLs are ultra clean and detailed and reveal the worst and best in electroncis, rooms and source material. But the SLAM-100s sound was seductive - it produced a more liquid and holographic mid and upper ranges. Its bass was also the best tube bass I have heard but it still had a small trace of the classic tube bass bloom that became distracting after several days. Fortunately, my MLs are bi-amp capable and I am now looking for a used SLAM-100 for the ELS portion and will use the precision X350 on the subwoofer sections. That should be an awesome combo.

Purchased At:   3 day demo from Soun

Submitted by Eric Teitelman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had spent several years auditioning power amplifiers, and never came close to considering a tube amplifier. Too many complications, spongy base, etc. etc. I had scheduled an appointment to audition the Wadia 860x with the Krell FPB 300 and B&W Nautilus Speakers. After about 20 minutes I left the room. My ears couldn't take the harshness. While walking through another room, I heard the Cary's. I told the sales person "That's the sound I'm looking for." It just sounded real. No harshness, no glare, just pure vocals. After auditioning several other solid state amps, I bought the Cary's, Wadia and Nautilus speakers. The combination is extremely synergystic, and absolutely magical. Always buy a complete system if you can.

I have several musician friends, and have spent many hours listening to small venue live performances. Yes, there are solid state amps that have more etched detail, and rock heavier at the bottom end. But they don't sound as natural. For me, its all about the sound, and of course, the music.

Purchased At:   Future Sound, Burlin

Submitted by boros a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
System:
-2 Cary SLAM-100s
-Cary SLP-98L (upgraded with 6v6 & 6SN7 circuit mod.)
-B&W Nautilus 804s
-Monster Z-2 Bi-wire cabling
-Misc CD players and DACs

As my musical tastes vary wildly, I had some major reservations in jettisoning transistors for tubes. While I have heard amazing mids and highs reproduced from both modern and old tube systems, I haven't really heard tubes reproduce percussion instraments as well as solid-state amps.

After a great deal of research, I was fortunate enough to stumble accross a fair deal on a pair of SLAM 100s. From the people I'd talked with and the little info I could read on the Net, the SLAMs seemed to be designed to do a fair job on the low-end... thus, the inspiring SLAM nomenclature.

The past months with the SLAMs have really opened my eyes and ears to the capabilities of modern tube systems. These SLAMs are much more versitile than I had ever anticipated. It seems that there's no style of music that these things can't handle effortlessly... breathtakingly (this may also have something to do with my SLP-98).

The SLAMs can operate in both push-pull and triode mode. The SLAMs are so powerful in triode mode that I've rarely really needed to switch to push-pull... though it has been fun on occasion.

The point is that this amplifier seems to really be capable of delivering radically different listening experiences, depending upon what you throw at it. The highs and mids are seductively sweet at all levels. This amplifier can reproduce stunning detail even at whisper levels (quite handy for when my wife is asleep). The SLAMs have truly offered me everything I had anticipated in a tube system.

What's been most surprising to me is the way that these things can accurately adn musically reproduce bass. I've actually found myself really noticing subtleties in percussive instraments and performances that I had completely missed with solid-state setups... I CERTAINLY NEVER EXPECTED THIS FROM TUBES! Imagine a systems that can groove so well with Miles that guests at a cocktail party stop talking and sit fixated in front of the speakers... imagine those same guests dancing uncrontrollably to an accurate bass line and sweetest horns you've every heard coming from an old 70s Disco standard! The SLAMS can do all of this!

Purchased At:   Used