Bow Technologies Wazoo
Description: Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by kickuprumpus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have been using the Bow for about 4 years. I knew this amp very well as my friend had it, I spent many hours listening to it before I bought it so I knew what I was getting. I open all of my audio products and was suprised to see that it was not as pictured in some of the reviews on the WWW, the reason for this was that it was a newer model and it had two trafos instead of the one as on the old model. Looking inside there is not much to see, a truly simple and well thought out amp, just the kind I like. NO corners have been cut in choosing the components inside and all of the connectors are WBT, a nice touch! No corners have been cut also when it comes to the build quality of the case, this thing is massive and some of the case work is just plain over board as far as thick aluminum goes, even on parts of the case that could have been thinner (mute knob for example) a big thick piece of aluminum was used. The "floating" face plate that Mr. Bo has been working on from the start of his audio career is here brought to perfection, a truly stand out product regarding design, no matter from what time period in audio history, this amp is a wonder of industrial design, deff not a amp to hide away. All of that aluminum also helps with keeping the unit cool. Looking at this amp from todays perspective, it would cost at least 4000 euro, not only because of the case but also soundwise. This amp easily beats soundwise many similar priced modern amps, and to buy second hand is very wise, repair is basic if ever needed so really nothing to worry about. If I was choosing between a amp like a new Rotel or a used (newer edition) Wazoo I would much rather choose a amp like the Wazoo as it truly is a minimalistic (less is more) entry into high end sound.
The sound of the Bow Wazoo is one that you can listen to for hours! It really is a music lovers amp. I listen to lots of "bass" music (Reggae) and the way the Wazoo works with this sort of music (to me) is magic! I have had a bunch of other amps before settling in with the Wazoo, choosing it as my center piece for at least 15 years, if anything is going to change in the hifi chain it will not be the amp. It also works well with Jazz (my other favorite music) as it has a sound that very nicely brings out the various layers of sound in complex works (like Herbie Hancock as an example). Low sound level bass is the best I have heard in my listening room, a true and heavy bass sound with great attack even at low volumes (yes it is tricky as another user pointed out but not impossible to get low levels right, for some reason the volume knob is very sensitive, something that to me is a wonderfull thing to use). The Wazoo is sort of fussy regarding source components, please do not partner this amp with some cheap player, the better the source the more rewarding the sound will be. When choosing source components I have noticed that more open sounding sources sound better, as the Wazoo tends to lean on the warm side (not to say that this is a slow amp). To set the record straight regarding that this amp is for small chamber works I have to say that it is not true, this amp is the only amp that made my low sensitivity speakers beg for mercy, finally a amp that showed my Dynaudios who is boss and filled the room with deep and layered music.
I do not have any idea what the XL sounds like, I had a look at the specs of both amps, and the regular Wazoo has no negative feedback while the XL does, the standard Wazoo to me seems like the no compromise amp of the two (no negative amps are rare, esp ones that sound this good).
After 13 years of various mid level amps, I am finally in the high end leauge, my ears tell me this.
Thanks for reading my bad grammer, and attempt at righting a review, this is my first audio review, and probably my last.

Submitted by Roger Webster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I changed to the Bow Wazoo XL nearly a year ago, and have been absolutely delighted. Previously used number of integrateds, last being Primare 30.1 - and I concur with a previous review that the Wazoo XL is far superior in spite of all the hyped reviews. Although (conservatively) rated at 75 watts into 8 ohm, it drives my Dynaudio 1.3SE Contours with far more ease and aplomb than the Primare which is rated at 120 watts. It has an uncanny ability to play virtually all styles of music (unless you want really heavy heavy metal slam - which I don't)- vocals, strings, and acoustic renderings are ethereal and at low volume the soundstage is still very impressive. I found it quite difficult to acquire one - but well worth the wait. Over and above its superb audiophile qualities, the styling is unique - the build-quality outstanding - a real timeless classic. Oh - and the remote is something special - called 'The Wand'. Highly recommended - if you can find one. If you 'Google' on Bow Technologies, they have a very interesting website and some helpful reviews.

Purchased At:   Audio Salon, Glasgow

Submitted by rintrier a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wonderfull: the amp is not in the room.

Purchased At:   www.audiocorner.com

Submitted by ryarsh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is Actually about the WAZoo XL.
The more powerfull 75 Watt per channel Intergrated amp.
I have been using several systems trying to find something better than the WazOO but alas i have had no sucsess?
Well i bought the latest Cyrus 8 Intergrated but this was just too thick and muddy but very powerfull.
The second amp was the latest Arcam A85 Diva
This was a nice amp but sounded too electronic but had some nice features!
Another is the latest Primare a30 now from all the reviews this should have been the best amp of all if you believe all the hype and to be honest it was the best of all the rest!the hole point of this write up is to give you a general idea of how great the WAZ really is!
The Wazoo is a far superior Amp by far!!!
This is really a great integrated Amp far superior to many pre/power systems.
I do think the XL has the edge over the standard wazoo you really do need the extra power.
This Amp has some magical ability to portray all kinds of music from The Blues to great classical works to the latest in electronic music.
This amp does nothing but allow the music to be heard how it was supposed to be heard it adds nothing to the music on the other hand it takes nothing away!
You really would have to spend a hell of a lot of Money to beat it!!
If you really want a musically reaveling Amp this is it.
I have used Naim/Musical Fideleity/Arcam/Cyrus/primare/Linn etc etc
and i can honestly say the WAZoo really does the bussiness.
It is not so much a good Amp but a Great AMP.
I am not one of these people that have just bought it and have to justify the spending of large amounts of Money?
i am still in love with this amp over a year after buying it!
Check out the following web site for a really good review www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/amps.html

Purchased At:   Bada dealer Great Br

Submitted by Bong-Tae Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
"What a bargain!" it was the first impression when I bought this heavy thing with little controllers. The outlook is so simple... but the Sound...? It has a very clear and bright sound. Especially the highs are really pretty... I am using a Sonus Faber Concerto as the main speaker and it is not a easy unit to drive. The deeps are lacking but... it is the problem of my speaker not of the WAZOO. Tight bass cannot be expected but warmth can you feel by your heart. I am really satisfied to have this gorgeous Amp. Too bad that the optional remote is so expensive.....

Th AudioLab 8000A was also a good amp... with it's slim modern face with 60 Watts 8 Ohm output.... The bass amd mid are clean and sharp.. but... the defect is the highs...
Too sharp....
And som humming in the trans and noise in selectors.

WAZOO.. totally different... You should try...

Purchased At:   From an Audio Fanatic