Audio Research VSi55
Description: <ul> <li>Utilizing microprocessor-controlled relays</li> <li>High performance input relay</li> <li>Partial cathode-coupled</li> </ul>

Submitted by pckidz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have renewed interest in audio after listening to my favorite track 'Heavy Fuel' (dire straits) at a friends place, The friendly audition gave a whole new meaning to the track and my search began soon after for a replacement of my system which was low mid end: Roksan Caspian integrated with Roksan Caspian Power and KEF Q15 (yes!) speakers. The CD drive was a Roksan caspian too. Since then I auditioned tons of equipment looking for the sound I wanted (within the budget I had): voice quality and clarity. The one I really liked was the mid end Naim system driving $ 8000 KEF 207's with $ 3000 cable set! Out of question. Then I Iooked at a Plinius 9200 / Dynaudio Contour & excite combo, Roksan with Sonus fabor Cremona, Plinius 9100 with JBL 4318's and many others. Then I chanced upon this dealer who was selling ARC's - they were new but obsoleted. I liked the full punching power (even thought this is rated at 50W) immediately. We used Wadia 581SE CD player with few different speakers: among then JM labs1027BE - where the sound was sweet but somehow lost punch. Then i spotted a B&W 705 in the corner and requested to connect it. Magic! I instantly knew this is sound I wanted though some of the mid end clarity was missing. On plus side I preferred a book shelf at that point which would not overcrowd my place and the 705 were pleasing to look at.

At home, I did not have the Wadia, but my trusty Roksan Caspian CD. Paul Simon's 50 ways to leave your lover from 'still crazy after ..' sounded great with the drums but vocals a bit subdued than I would have liked. Goriilaz all albums sounded a bit noisy. But then I switched to Natalie Cole Still unforgettable: She simply stood out - made a live appearance in my home especially with 'why dont you do right?' The cymbals were just right, the sax not too over bearing and voice golden. Its good that I listen to these types more often. I tried a bit of east Prem Joshua's Taranga (if you dont have this CD get it!). Fully satisfied with strings standing out.

So whats next? First I am going to upgrade my cables to see if I can get the clarity better - I attribute it to lack of the mid range driver in 705 and also the CD player. Then slowly I am going to upgrade my CD - possibly to a ARC CD3 and the speakers - either to KEF (when I hit the lottery) or B&W 703 or 803. But I will keep the i55 for very long time for sure.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by lawaspen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
My first entry into tubes and I am very happy I finally mde the switch. The imaging, in both dimensions, is really nice. The best part of it is the high-mids and high end, which is completely musical; you never hear anything in the highs that sounds digital. Everything is really transparent. It will make you look at your speakers carefully to be sure they are evyerthing you want as this amp really is flawless at this price point.

Purchased At:   Colorado