Yamaha RX-497 Receivers

• XM Satellite Radio Ready
  • Multi-Zone Control Capability

Submitted by Jim Hesketh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
Very nice, well laid out 2 channel stereo reciver. Well built, with the only fault I could find is that it does not show any kind of sound level when you lower or raise the volume. Minor detail, but most recievers provide that visual feedback. The sound is very detailed, and has an input for a turntable.

Yamaha did a good job with this 2 channel reciever. At 75 WPC is has enough power to drive moderate power hungry speakers. You can't go wrong if you choose the RX 497.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by KevinQ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm not an audiophile. However, I like listening to music and I just couldn't take another day with crappy Sony bookshelf system (buyer beware: even my Japanese wife thinks Sony sucks these days). Anyway, I bought the RX-497 receiver and am completely happy with it. The simplicity of it is refreshing, it's not the Maranz I had years ago, but the layout is free from the baroque. I like listening to my Technics MK turntable with it in a dimmed room, they both have a nice glow to them. Sound wise, I bought Bose Acoustic mass 5 III speakers along with the reciever and they work well together. Great range, great definition - I listened to Kraftwerk's "Computer World" on vinyl for my sytem's maiden voyage - Holy crap what a difference! So that's my review. I figured I owed Audioareview a review because the site was very helpful in my research. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will do the next review . .

Purchased At:   J&R Music NYC Store