Yamaha RX-V440
Description: <ul> <li>75W x 6ch Home Theater Receiver</li> <li>Digital Top-Art (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) --maximizes signal purity</li> <li>6-channel discrete amplification</li> <li>Provides Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital Surround, DTS-ES (DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1), and DTS Neo:6 decoding</li> <li>96kHz/24-Bit Digital-To-Analog Converter</li> <li>Discrete Power Transistors</li> <li>24 Different Sound Programs (44 Variations)</li> <li>Digitally Regulated Analog Volume Control</li> <li>Dolby Surround Pro Logic II --provides 5.1 channel surround from any stereo source</li> </ul>

Submitted by Brothermoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
When I got into this, all I could afford were the entry level toys so I bought the best I could afford. I eventually ended up with Wharfedale diamond 8's, a set of WH-2's, and a Dynaquest sub.
The one thing I did take a chance on was perhaps the most important item in the setup: the receiver. I guess I bought it because it was the only 6.1 rig in my price range (paid around Php 12,000 that's around $214) and guess what? It works great! It's not without its faults though, it can get a bit tinny and bright at times, the menu is confusing as hell, and it seems to generate A LOT of heat. Those things aside, movie sound reproduction is great (especially in DTS 6.1) and music playback is full and rich using PL II music mode. For all that however, it still sounds like an entry level system (I've heard pricier amps and speakers) but hey, it's an entry level system I enjoy a lot.

Purchased At:   Ambassador Appliance

Submitted by nelmr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
My many years of experience with Yamaha (and other brand) receivers leads me to believe this "Yamaha is bright" theory is a myth that has been so widely repeated that people believe it. Since people believe they are bright they will always hear them that way until something compelling convinces them otherwise.

It doesn't matter if it is a Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Rotel, Krell, Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc. Recievers or preamp/amp combos do very LITTLE to affect the brightness/warmness of the sound comming from your speakers. Room acustics and Speakers have the greatest impact on how audio equipment and speakers will sound in your room.

That said, this reciever is great.

It really boils down to a few things.

First, it has plenty of power for anyone who is concerned about that. Most reciever that are rated 100 watts x 6 channels are NOT 600 watt recievers. What that rating means is that a given reciever can output 100 watts to any of the 6 channels. If you try to output to all the channels this number is much less. 10 watts of power is enough to create sound with normal speakers (90dB+ efficeny @ 1 meter) and normal listening position of 6-9 feet away can create sound pressure levels in the range of 90-100 dB's depending on the distance. That's just 10 watts!!

This reciever according to sound and vision magazine can ouptut 126 watts to 1 channel and 34 watts to 5. But again 34 watts is PLENTY of CLEAN power. Please don't be fooled by the "100wattsx5" marketing ploy. This reciever packs a lot of power for a small to medium sized room (100-300 sq. feet)

Second, This reciever has a low noise floor. Again, the Sound and Vision review on this reciever (you can search their website for the RX-V440, it's idenical twin) it has a S/N ration of about 95dB!!! And... it holds true to that rating by my own tests and observations on the reciever. This means it won't have any hiss or buzz in the background while listening to music. The only way you could hear hiss or buzz is if you cd/dvd playing has a worse S/N ration.

Third, It has all the import movie decodings and many DSP modes that are superior to other brands if you are into that type of thing.

Lastly, And this is where it really counts, How does it sound? It sounds great. It is great for 2 channel music and for 6 channel movies.

The only flaws I can see with it is the radio tuner is a bit week and the menu system is a little confusing at first.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by wiresndrivers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
After upgrading my speakers on an old Sony Pro-Logic receiver it became obvious that an upgrade was in order. I didn't want to go "hog wild" on higher end equipment and also wanted to keep my wife happy; coming home with a SUV full of expensive audio equipment when she wants a new couch and chairs isn't a good game plan.
In any event, I picked the Yamaha
RX-V440. I have long been associated to Yamaha products, with guitar amps and musical products. It was that association that prompted my interest in purchasing this unit. The unit also received a few favourable reviews, most notably, one in the UK's What-Hi-Fi publication.
The unit provides extremely clear high end dynamics, and compared to the older Sony very detailed music and movies.
I am more a music enthusiast than a movie buff but bought this to hopefully achieve a balance in the two, again without blowing wads of cash. I have been dissapointed in the two channel music capabilities of this unit. After discussing this with a Yamaha rep I guess I have to chalk it up to the fact that the unit is considered an "entry level unit" designed primarily for "home theatre", which I must agree, albeit, at the price paid in Canada ($420 on sale at A&B Sound) I think it would have been reasonable to expect more than "entry-level". In any event, I have auditioned other units form other brands in similar "entry-level" units and have noted a better overall frequency response and fuller richer sound overall in those brands (Onkyo, Pioneer Denon and Sony (yes even the Sony)).

I have the unit paired to Mission M73 speakers and the M7C2 centre, a M7C1 rear centre and JBL 2600 rears. I have read mixed reviews on the Mission Yamaha combination, however I have experimented with the JBL's up front and found the pure titanium tweeters emphasize the brightness even more!!

Perhaps this is a matter of personal taste in sound reproduction more than it is in the product itself, however, I have found that this unit is too detailed & bright to permit the full enjoyment of 2 ch music. Utilizing the limited treble and bass parameters available on the system, does little to change this,and in fact serves only to mask or overemphasize nuances that quickly detract from music enjoyment; yes my hearing is excellent (a recent hearing test confirmed this :))

I am reluctant to augment this system with my subwoofer all of the time, albeit I have a very good one set up in the system. The fronts have a very respectable freq range that does not appear fully utilized by this receiver (yes I have checked all the settings, time and time again, tested and retested etc etc large small sub on off in out etc etc). I also have excellent quality 12awg speaker cable.

The unfortunate part to all of this is I probably listen to 2 ch stereo 60% of the time so I am only really satisfied with this receiover 40% of the time, or perhaps to be fair I will say 50-60% of the time (my favorite music CD's still provide some enjoyment when played).

The DSP modes while providing some amusement in initial purchase quickly become tiresome and unless you want overprocessed music they are somewhet useless for everyday music listening in my opinion. Dolby Prologic II and EX are excellent as is the DTS decoder (Neo and ES). Movies are fantastic so I guess in that respect the receiver is a winner, however if you are looking for a receiver that produces both excellent music and theatre production look elsewhere or in the words of the Yamaha tech, you will have to spend more money on their higher level systems. If I am to do that, I suggest I will not be purchasing Yamaha.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by gbtormes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
A very good sounding AVR at this price range,I got my Yammy from a local Hi-Fi store for PhP 15,000 (USD 267)after reading positive reviews from another sites.I hooked this AVR with Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 as fronts,Wharfedale WH-2 for center & surrounds & Dai-ichi blaster for rear center with Dynaquest DQ-12 subwoofer (6.1 set up)and yes!! It sounds beyond my expectations,with Cinema DSP( I like the enhanced mode) my movie watching becomes thrillingly realistic.

Purchased At:   Sound Room

Submitted by RomCrazy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a mid-grade reciever. It was an upgrade in power when I tried to run my new PSB Image 2Bs from a $100 boom-box.(Come on, I was on a tight budget!) So, when 45 watts failed miserably to power my system, I went looking for a $200 reciever that would sute my needs for now. I brought it home and hooked it up, it is a very bright amp, I suspect meant to power cheap speakers. I run my stereo with a laptop and a Creative external soundcard running both analog and optical. I will be upgrading to NAD seperates soon, but this reciever doesn't sound bad. I will still keep it for my future home theater setup.

Purchased At:   Pro Audio