Sherwood RX-4105 Receivers

• Random 30-Station Presets
  • System Illumination

Submitted by steviebeef a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 of these from Circuit City at a special discount of $ 63.00. I had moved into a home with a lot of porches and intended on using these to drive (each) 2 pair Dual LU53PW outdoor speakers. I had the units hooked up to Direct TV for Sirius/XM stations. These amps far exceeded my expectations for power and sound.

Not surprisingly, I purchased 2 more and ganged them together to provide sound in the entertainment part of the house, mostly driving bookshelf 2 way speakers but also 1 pair of vintage Realistic Electrostat 2a floor speakers. Although I do not rum the volume much above 35, the sound is clean, powerful and I have had no problems with the amp shutting down.

Downside to these speakers are a lack of inputs, and the remotes work on the same frequency and cannot be switched so I pretty much have to control volume manually. Neither is a big problem considering the price I paid. Have had these now going on 3 years and they still run strong.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by craigwcg287 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Sherwood RX-4105 is a great receiver for the money you would paid for. But you have to make your receiver is connected to pair of 8 ohm nominal impedance speakers that can maintain actual impedance above 6 ohms throughout the audio frequency spectrum from 20 to 20,000 Hertz, otherwise, your receiver will go into protection mode, and shut down as soon as you crank up the volume control pass 40.

My 8 ohm speakers have a severe low impedance problem on certain audio frequencies that cause my Sherwood RX-4105 receiver to shutdown when I crank up the volume pass 40. I hooked my receiver up to a 8 ohm speaker dummy load, and cranked up the volume to 56 the maximum volume without the audio clipping in AM/FM radio mode, my Sherwood receiver did not shutdown. My 8 ohm speaker's low impedance curve drops down 2.8 ohms around 85 to 90 Hertz, and that's what caused my Sherwood receiver to Shutdown when the volume is cranked up pass 40.

I had to build me a pair of external inline speaker impedance compensation networks for my speakers in order to maintain my speaker impedance above 6 ohms, and to keep my Sherwood receiver from shutting down. Now, I can crank up volume up to 56 in AM/FM radio mode into my 12inch woofer speakers delivering 128 decibel C-weighting of Sound Pressure Level in a 9ft by 13ft room, and that is equivalent of being in an 8,000 square foot nightclub with a 20,000 watt sound system. But I had to use a 10inch 55watt 120volt fan blowing air into my receiver's vent holes on top of my receiver in order to keep my receiver cool while the volume is cranked up to 56 for 6 consecutive hours. If the speaker wires is over 10 foot long between the Sherwood receiver and the speakers, use 14 gauge wire or larger with that Sherwood. I am currently using 12 gauge speaker, 12 foot long speaker wire with my Sherwood receiver for greater minimized speaker line loss. For 6 hours, my Sherwood receiver never did shutdown with the volume control set at 56, and the tone control is set at Tone Direct, or bass and treble controls set at 0db.

If the Sherwood RX-4105 receiver shuts down with only the speakers are hooked up, after the volume control is cranked up pass 40, make sure you, or have a technician to check your 8 ohm speakers to see it can maintain the actual impedance above 6 ohms from 20 to 20,000 Hertz, or from the speaker's lowest frequency response to 20,000 Hertz.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Caleb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver to tide me over while I wait for my main receiver to be repaired. I am satisfied with the performance. The amp drives my main speakers which happen to be Cerwin Vega Ve-12's, to higher than expected volume before it shut down. The volume control is digital and goes between 0-63 it can drive my speakers which it is not designed for at 30 on all the program material I tried it out with including movies. This volume level with these speakers is more than loud enough for most people.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
well for the price I pleased at how clean this amp is. Not a lot of extras this realy is for the guys who still like the two speaker stearo sound. Quality is ver good and this discrete amp is what you would exspect in a much mor exspensive receiver.

Purchased At:   circuit city