Sansui QRX-9001 Receivers

Quad w/Dolby

Submitted by LAIHORNG1976 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
Very good! I am using it with my Sansui SP3500 and the sound is excellent.

Submitted by jotahan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
Adquiri este receiver de um amigo, que era o unico dono. Mandei fazer uma revisão no aparelho e fiquei surpreso com o seu estado. Muito novo. Som maravilhoso.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by Astroman50 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I don't know a whole lot about 4 channel, but I use it 2-channel. Have it driving a couple of Duntech Lab loudspeakers from the same era in a 20 x22' hardwood floored room, creates a tight, thunderous subsonic base wave that is totally seperate from the rest of the mix. Mids and highs are very warm . I paid $100.00 for the speakers, (yea, Duntech--imagine that) that are beat, but looks are decieving. Puts any mid range system to shame and I think it rivals premium stuff (5k +) stuff that is out today. (of course, this is premium stuff here, vintage premium..)
The cold solderd board acts up from time to time, with a channel shutting down, bu it salways comes back for more.
I have used it outdoors at high current levels with the amps bridged for hours, and it could be heard clearly a quarter of a mile away. Zero discernable distortion.
That's my $130.00 system....viva vintage.

Purchased At:   flea market

Submitted by TBL_HK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
My friendly HiFi shop caught me driving by and told me that he had saved this one for me.

I bought it and never became sorry. I thought it was so good I loaned ti to my friend to have his opinion. He too thinks that this one is very good, and would have bought it if he were there!

OK here are my points of observation:

1. Quad decode is excellent. I play some of my non-quad and wued its vario-matrix to play the tracks. It was so good I thought that I had missed a good part of the quad era in history. Now this thing has put me in the search for the 70's quad things now that people have kept telling me I have gotten one of the best quad equipment pieces made druing the prime time of quads.

2. Tuner: very good. enough said.

3. Dolby circuit: the dolby tone level on the left channel is 1-2dB down. Oh yeah, it should be calibrated later. But I think its dolby circuit is good compared to my Nakamichi NR-200 dolby b/c codec. Too bad this part of the machine is no longer of any value to anyone today now that analogue tapes are almost obsolete.

4. Output: the 60W X 4, or 60W X 2 outputs are more than enough to me believe this thing should be rated aomewhere like 100 X 2 when operating in low power mode.

Its 120X2 high power mode is said to be troublesome as it cooks itself easily but I have tried using this mode for long time without problem. On my Allison AL-125, which is a medium efficiency (more like 86 dB@1W SPL as I feel), this mode is good to take the output to very loud levels without any slight hint of distortion or clipping. Still sounds open and uncompressed then.

5. Sound quality: I think I can’t too look in this department of the thing. After all, this might be a Class B design in amp stage (someone pls correct if I’m wrong), and was made that many years ago, something must have gone kabook. After all, I’m still impressed by its presentation of soundstage, being open, clean, accurate, but sometimes tube-like warm in highs and mids. I like its reproduction of human voices when fed my NAD Tuner 3225, which sound very comfortable to my ears. Not that there is any highs rolling off at audible frequencies, but the sound is just natural, warm, and non-distorted. The QRZ-9001’s FM tuner turns out equally hissless sound in stereo as well, but there is just this extra sense of natural touch to it with that set-up.

With my Philip DVP7205A and Allison AL-125 speakers, the sound from my QRX-9001 is again tube-like warm, non-distorted to my senses, open, natural, and above all, non-fatiguing for a number of type of music. This set-up is best when playing orchestral music, jazz, and female singing. Take any Lisa Ono, Jacintha, or a Four Seasons played by Felix Ayo and I Musici, or even a Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 of Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw Orch. (Philips recording in the 70’s) , and you won’t be far from Hi-End results in terms of clarity with good warmth, open soundstage (given even high volumes). I just fear that the next level of HiFi performance might cost me hundredfold more.

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by Terry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought in 1978 this receiver still kicks butt especially when matched with todays
surround systems. I use it with four Kenwood 888D speakers and a JVC S.E.A. equalizer amplifier.

Purchased At:   Subic Bay Naval Base