Sansui G-9700 Receivers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2016

Bottom Line:
Purchased my G9700 in 1980 at Camp Zama, Japan and I just took it to a tech for cleaning; she's my baby and I will have her until the day I die. I also have the sansui X11000 and X9700 speakers...they compliment the receiver quiet well.

Submitted by undderdog7 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought mine new in 1978. I don't know much about specs, but I do know It puts out enough power at 20 out of 100 on the volume control, to make your ears ring, in a good way. I haven't used it in 10 years, because I'm not young anymore. I would be willing to sell it.

Submitted by sla429 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Sansui G-9700 is the best piece of audio equipment I have ever owned. I have owned Conrad Johnson, Sonic Frontiers, Adcom, Sumo, GAS, Kenwood, Marantz, Pioneer, Audio Research, and many varieties of tube amps. I have the G-9700 paired with Bose 901 V's and its nirvana. I owned some good speakers too. For example: Dyanaudio contour 1, Paradigm Studio 20's, JBL L-100's, HPM-100, Dynaco A-25(still have these), Dynaco A-50, Klipsch Kg-4, and Klipsch Cornwall's. The G-9700 SOUNDS wonderful with vinyl, digital, and with anything else you put in it. My Grado SR-80 headphones prove to me the quality of pre-amp. The consertative 200 watts/channel takes care of the rest. If one was to look into the guts of this receiver, it would become apprent that it would cost thousands of dollars to produce a product like this today.

Submitted by patches a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this monster on Ebay, and had it cleaned and serviced at a reliable tech shop. I find the power is great, but I question the claim of .001 % distortion. I find that when the tone controls are set to ON, that the sound is somewhat distorted, compared to my G7500 receiver. This clears up to a great degree when the tone controls are switched off. However, the sound is still somewhat not as clear as the G7500. The G7500 is only rated to 90 Watts, whereas the G9700 is rated to 300 Watts. Could I have a problem with the power cord or the electrical circuit in the house that the receiver is plugged into? I read about different power supplies and cords offered by different highend audio companies. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or should I bring the reciever to a different tech and get it adjusted in some way.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by normnjen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned this receiver scince 1986, and all I can say is, TIMELESS! This piece of equipment has a combination of power, clarity, headroom, and great looks, that is very hard to beat. This one rates right up there with some of todays finest, even after 16 years of service.

Purchased At:   private indavidual