Sansui G-8700DB Receivers

DC PURE POWER

Submitted by Robert McFarland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2016

Bottom Line:
My most prized possession other than my wife and my children is with out a doubt my Sansui G-8700 DB. The clean, crisp, clear sound it throws out is almost UN-describable. Don't even think of pushing the power button unless you have a set of speakers that can handle at least 210 watts. I purchased this unit in 1982 from a friend who's wife would not let him play it because of volume issues. It was perfect timing for me to buy it, as my now ex-wife put a plant on top of my Sansui G-6000 and overflowed water into the unit and fried it GRRRRRR.... I drive the G-8700 DB with a set of Pioneer D-SS7's which i just had re-coned in Tucson Arizona. Just 2 weeks ago i took the unit apart ever so carefully to access the pots and cleaned them all with contact cleaner, which is just normal maintenance for a unit of this age. It took care of all of the static and crakel i sometimes got on the balance, selector, and tape function knobs. Believe me, this baby will blow you out of your chair. I rarely turn it over 40. Just talking about it makes me want to go play it. LOL Rock On......

Submitted by texas42 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
It's like owning a museum classic! I originally bought a G-8700db when I was stationed in Korea in the army in 1980. I was caught then by the tremendous build quality and handsome looks of this receiver. I think in the 1970s in general, the design teams really nailed the cosmetics on the receivers. You look at the Pioneers, Marantz, and Sansuis of the day and all of them look like works of art. Today, everything is all black boxes of plastic. Maybe I am just showing my age (44) but I'd rather collect 'vintage' gear for pennies on the dollar which were built like a tank and will last forever, than most of what they are putting out today. I've picked up a Marantz 2230, and a Pioneer SX-780 and both are almost new shape and sound great. Much better FM reception and plenty of clean power. I'm not a novice, either. I've owned (and own) plenty of "high end" gear, to include KEF reference, Thiels, NHTs, Magnepans, etc etc etc..and the same with amp, preamps (have several nice tube amps as well) but for pure fun and enjoyment there nothing like vintage audio. Aside from surround sound, not much has really changed the past 40 years and I still think stereo sounds better for music than the surround formats. Just my .02 cents...enjoy the music!

Regards,

Dave

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by John Saldana a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased this reciever new in 1979 while in the NAVY and she,s still belting out the tunes. They don,t build them like this anymore. Great sound still, deep bass and clear highs and midrange, pushing out thru a set of JBL L112's that were purchased in 1983. The JBL,s have been overhauled once but the reciever has not seen a shop yet. If you see one on sale run don't walk and get it, you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   NAVY EXCHANGE CATALOG

Submitted by Gene Sweeney a

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best receiver I've ever owned, and I've had some amazingly good ones (see list below), including modern, so-called "clean sound" pieces of tin.

First impressions are visual and tactile - this is a beautiful piece of equipment with its massive size, silver face and rosewood cabinet. All knobs and controls are solid, silky smooth, and give good tactile feedback. All lights and indicators are logical and intuitive.

The G-8700DB combines the massive power and build quality of the seventies with the beginning of eighty's technology in the quartz locked FM Tuner and LED Power Output Meters - the best of both worlds.

The Sansui Pure Power design just pumps out the sound. 160 Watts RMS continuous into 8 Ohms with 3/4 db headroom and no more than 0.025% distortion - much more into 4 ohms. This is what it takes to get all sound, all the time - bright highs, solid lows, and exceptionally clear mid to separate out vocals. Transient response is amazing - instantaneous with no lag or muddiness.

Every time I go a while without listening to it, it's like starting over again. It's so good that I rediscover all my CD's again. Rock, Clasical, Folk, Jazz (I know - eclectic) - everything sounds great on the G-8700DB.

I drive Bose 901's effortlessly, and they are known to suck up all the power you can throw at them. Nothing made today compares.

If you ever see one of these for sale or on ebay, grab it fast, and count yourself lucky.

Submitted by Shinchan Kang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this monster at a local shop 2months ago. I was caught by a label attached on front panel..."160 wpc with 0.025% thd" and indication of "pure DC power". When I hooked up with KEF and AR and played cd titled "Hotel California", I realized what that means and I was so impressed by clean and silky high frequency backed up by solid and tight bass with hefty power. Not harsh at all! Sound was amazing in a word and I am now enjoying more time with it than any other equipments I own.

Purchased At:   local shop