Sansui G-8700DB Receivers

DC PURE POWER

Submitted by texas42 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
It's like owning a museum classic! I originally bought a G-8700db when I was stationed in Korea in the army in 1980. I was caught then by the tremendous build quality and handsome looks of this receiver. I think in the 1970s in general, the design teams really nailed the cosmetics on the receivers. You look at the Pioneers, Marantz, and Sansuis of the day and all of them look like works of art. Today, everything is all black boxes of plastic. Maybe I am just showing my age (44) but I'd rather collect 'vintage' gear for pennies on the dollar which were built like a tank and will last forever, than most of what they are putting out today. I've picked up a Marantz 2230, and a Pioneer SX-780 and both are almost new shape and sound great. Much better FM reception and plenty of clean power. I'm not a novice, either. I've owned (and own) plenty of "high end" gear, to include KEF reference, Thiels, NHTs, Magnepans, etc etc etc..and the same with amp, preamps (have several nice tube amps as well) but for pure fun and enjoyment there nothing like vintage audio. Aside from surround sound, not much has really changed the past 40 years and I still think stereo sounds better for music than the surround formats. Just my .02 cents...enjoy the music!

Regards,

Dave

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by John Saldana a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased this reciever new in 1979 while in the NAVY and she,s still belting out the tunes. They don,t build them like this anymore. Great sound still, deep bass and clear highs and midrange, pushing out thru a set of JBL L112's that were purchased in 1983. The JBL,s have been overhauled once but the reciever has not seen a shop yet. If you see one on sale run don't walk and get it, you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   NAVY EXCHANGE CATALOG

Submitted by Gene Sweeney a

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best receiver I've ever owned, and I've had some amazingly good ones (see list below), including modern, so-called "clean sound" pieces of tin.

First impressions are visual and tactile - this is a beautiful piece of equipment with its massive size, silver face and rosewood cabinet. All knobs and controls are solid, silky smooth, and give good tactile feedback. All lights and indicators are logical and intuitive.

The G-8700DB combines the massive power and build quality of the seventies with the beginning of eighty's technology in the quartz locked FM Tuner and LED Power Output Meters - the best of both worlds.

The Sansui Pure Power design just pumps out the sound. 160 Watts RMS continuous into 8 Ohms with 3/4 db headroom and no more than 0.025% distortion - much more into 4 ohms. This is what it takes to get all sound, all the time - bright highs, solid lows, and exceptionally clear mid to separate out vocals. Transient response is amazing - instantaneous with no lag or muddiness.

Every time I go a while without listening to it, it's like starting over again. It's so good that I rediscover all my CD's again. Rock, Clasical, Folk, Jazz (I know - eclectic) - everything sounds great on the G-8700DB.

I drive Bose 901's effortlessly, and they are known to suck up all the power you can throw at them. Nothing made today compares.

If you ever see one of these for sale or on ebay, grab it fast, and count yourself lucky.

Submitted by Shinchan Kang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this monster at a local shop 2months ago. I was caught by a label attached on front panel..."160 wpc with 0.025% thd" and indication of "pure DC power". When I hooked up with KEF and AR and played cd titled "Hotel California", I realized what that means and I was so impressed by clean and silky high frequency backed up by solid and tight bass with hefty power. Not harsh at all! Sound was amazing in a word and I am now enjoying more time with it than any other equipments I own.

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by David Elton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I found one of these at an Audio shop a few years ago for 100$. Big, my God heavy!! Beautiful dark wood veneer cabinet. Did't get a manual with it, however the power meters top out at 160wpc. Nothing I have heard today compares with these units, when first hooked up, I thought my gosh, what happend?? The new depth and presence to my favorite recordings was amazing- I spent a week going through them all shaking my head. I have the unit driving Altec605A's, some older Advents, and JBL's. I am sold on this good old equipment. To think this was made when I was in Highschool..... those truely were the "good old days" Love to hear from anyone who has any of this good old equipment.

Sennheiser: