Sansui 9090DB Receivers

4.87/5 (77 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Submitted by al a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2017

Bottom Line:
well folks, I bought one and the red light came on. parked it a while and brought it to galaxy electronics in new Orleans. the man smiled and said he would make it sing again. so I went get it. he said he put sanken finals and it would pump. so I brought it home and saw a pair of 5500x on ebay I bought them but the woofers were out. I bought a pair of 4 ohm boss woofers and put them in. I had to open up the port a bit but it fit after. so, after listening to the matchup, I would rate the sound quality as being in the recording studio. all those songs have hidden things which you hear with this set up I suppose these setups of 10 or 20 grand will deliver like this.

Submitted by Kevin McCarthy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
This thread clearly has a lot of very good ears and refined grey matter. I purchased my 9090DB in 1978 when I was attending General Motors Institute. Paired it with a Nakamichi cassette deck (sounded good, but unreliable), an Onkyo turntable (still have it) and Ohm C2 speakers (cones dry rotted in storage, but still have them). The 9090DB is still used weekly and is as strong as ever. I read that capacitor replacement ("recapping") will make a good old receiver into a great old receiver. Have any of you 'recapped' your receivers to sharpen the already good sound?

Submitted by Jeroen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
I like my Sansui 9090 that much so I wrote a blog about it: https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-a-digital-guy-fell-in-love-with-a-vintage-stereo-receiver-3bc132a347d7#.fa94637iq

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2015

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 9090DB in 1979 at United Audio in Chicago.
Years of PLEASURE!!! What a unit.

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Sansui 9090DB new back in '76. I recall paying over $300 for it at the time. Basically, that was about a week and half's take home pay for me. I've loved this receiver since day-one. Over the years, it has gotten relegated to my garage. I used to drive my landscape speakers and garage speakers. Decided to bring it back into the house today (forgot how heavy this sucker was). A few of the display lights didn't work and the pots. need to be cleaned. I spent about twenty minutes getting the display lights to work again, and I'm heading to RadioShack tomorrow to get a can of cleaner and lubricant for the pots. A little TLC and this sucker is going to be as good as new.

My brother purchased the 8080DB around the same time and he still uses his to this day.

If you are fortunate enough to already own one of these, never let it go. If you ever find one, buy it!

Cheers!