Sansui 9090DB Receivers

4.86/5 (73 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Sansui 9090DB new back in '76. I recall paying over $300 for it at the time. Basically, that was about a week and half's take home pay for me. I've loved this receiver since day-one. Over the years, it has gotten relegated to my garage. I used to drive my landscape speakers and garage speakers. Decided to bring it back into the house today (forgot how heavy this sucker was). A few of the display lights didn't work and the pots. need to be cleaned. I spent about twenty minutes getting the display lights to work again, and I'm heading to RadioShack tomorrow to get a can of cleaner and lubricant for the pots. A little TLC and this sucker is going to be as good as new.

My brother purchased the 8080DB around the same time and he still uses his to this day.

If you are fortunate enough to already own one of these, never let it go. If you ever find one, buy it!

Cheers!

Submitted by Robert Narciso a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2012

Bottom Line:
i went to a yard sale last friday and i saw this sleeping beast! the owner told me to make offer.my first offer $50 and the owner said yes! he said he needs money.i almost give him an extra $50 because of an excitement.for $50 ? lol!

Submitted by jerome rubin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
i live the 1970s i am 54 years my friend gave a party and i let him use my amp and it was in 1977 i use a realistic amp my mom just got i thought it was the world we were playing music and this sound came from the back room and it took over the party it was a 9090db in the back room he was my daddy he own the party i have never forgat that day 9090db as real as it can get

Submitted by Dillard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a sansui 9090db in 1976 in japan and it gave me many years of service. I had 4 pioneer 911A speakers with this power house. I have never had anything close to the sound this receiver had. Just the other day I went to a lawn mower shop to get some blades and low and behold there was a sansui 9090db on a shelf collecting dust. I asked about it and the man said that old thing has been sitting up there for 30 some odd years. I had to ask if he would sell it and he said sure $5.00 WOW! I took it of course. Took it home dusted it off, Polished it and it looks like it just came off the show room floor and works just as good. Yes it was my lucky day.

Submitted by Bob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought my Sansui 9090db in 1977 for $350. The tuner section compared well with my sister's Mac (tube) pre-amp tuner (we both agreed on this), so I am surprised that some posters did not rate the tuner section highly. (I used mine with good results where overhead electric lines precluded reception in other tuners in my building.)

I am also surprised that few posters identified the problem in the left channel -- it goes out if the circuit board is not cleaned frequently. I think circuit traces in the left channel may be too close together.

I am also surprised that one poster thought it was junk. I believe his unit may have been malfunctioning. My son, who is an audiophile and iintends to build his system around VTL (tube) or Musical Fidelity (transistor) amplification, agrees that the Sansui gives great sound for the money. However, I agree with him that the VTL and MF amps sound significantly better that the Sansui. Sounded great with my son's Vandersteen 2CE signatures, although the sound got a llittle hard playing complex orchestral works at high levels. The Vandys excel at reproducing male voices, and the Sansui sounded really good, almost, but not quite as good as a Rogue (55 w/ch, tubes) with them.

These are great old receivers with a "tubey" sound, somewhat loose bass but warm and sweet overall. Though they don't match the better modern gear, they are a great bargain at about $200 used. If the left channel is out, you may have to pay up to $400 to replace blown output transistors. But that compares to paying about $1500 for a used VTL 60 wpc (tube) integrated (which admittedly sounds significantly better than the Sansui).. It's tough to get the sound of the Sansui for the same money.

Associated equipment: JVC cd player (equal to old Magnavox) (before the JVC, Duel 510 'table, Shure, Grado cartridges)
Speakers: Two way horns, like Klipsh Heresy, but better midrange driver, 96 db/w/m
Vandersteen 2CE signatures
Nordost interconnects

Strengths: Sweet sound, plenty of power

Weaknesses: Frequent cleaning to keep left channel working, heavy

Sansui 9090DB Receiver Price

I saw a guy is selling a Sansui 9090DB receiver for $250 and everything works on the receiver and just some scratches on the wood cover! He also offers me a Marantz 2250B for $180 in good great condition too! What do you guys think about the price, is it a deal or not? I am sure that if I buy bo ... Read More »

Just got a Sunsui 9090db

HI, I just got my Sansui 9090db and looking for some speakers for it. I used to havv KEF in the 1985. But now I'm on a budget and can't spend lot of money. Anyones input appritiated. MickRead More »

Sansui 9090DB

Hello all, my dad has a sansui 9090DB that has a faulty channel, cuts out randomly, i am under the impression that this is a pretty good reciever. anyways i was wondering if this would be worth fixing/upgrading and if so where should i be looking to get this done. i live in southern california if ... Read More »

MS 1400W: