Sansui 9090DB Receivers

4.87/5 (76 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Submitted by Kevin McCarthy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
This thread clearly has a lot of very good ears and refined grey matter. I purchased my 9090DB in 1978 when I was attending General Motors Institute. Paired it with a Nakamichi cassette deck (sounded good, but unreliable), an Onkyo turntable (still have it) and Ohm C2 speakers (cones dry rotted in storage, but still have them). The 9090DB is still used weekly and is as strong as ever. I read that capacitor replacement ("recapping") will make a good old receiver into a great old receiver. Have any of you 'recapped' your receivers to sharpen the already good sound?

Submitted by Jeroen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
I like my Sansui 9090 that much so I wrote a blog about it: https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-a-digital-guy-fell-in-love-with-a-vintage-stereo-receiver-3bc132a347d7#.fa94637iq

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2015

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 9090DB in 1979 at United Audio in Chicago.
Years of PLEASURE!!! What a unit.

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Sansui 9090DB new back in '76. I recall paying over $300 for it at the time. Basically, that was about a week and half's take home pay for me. I've loved this receiver since day-one. Over the years, it has gotten relegated to my garage. I used to drive my landscape speakers and garage speakers. Decided to bring it back into the house today (forgot how heavy this sucker was). A few of the display lights didn't work and the pots. need to be cleaned. I spent about twenty minutes getting the display lights to work again, and I'm heading to RadioShack tomorrow to get a can of cleaner and lubricant for the pots. A little TLC and this sucker is going to be as good as new.

My brother purchased the 8080DB around the same time and he still uses his to this day.

If you are fortunate enough to already own one of these, never let it go. If you ever find one, buy it!

Cheers!

Submitted by Robert Narciso a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2012

Bottom Line:
i went to a yard sale last friday and i saw this sleeping beast! the owner told me to make offer.my first offer $50 and the owner said yes! he said he needs money.i almost give him an extra $50 because of an excitement.for $50 ? lol!