ROTEL RX-950AX Receivers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Submitted by Gnavedo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
Have been an Audiophile for 40 years, Just came upon this page, have been with this Rotel RX-950AX for 14 years and have at least 5, other brands, Marantz, krell, Nad , Cambridge , Denon and a few other high end, Have played this Rotel receiver with Gallo Divas Paragdium , 20V5 ,Kef ,Q300 , Monitor Audio BX2 and Honestly this makes all my speakers sound much better than any any other ,its unbelievable what a receiver of this caliber can do, my son is a manager at a Best Buy store, I have tried receivers in the $2000.00 price tag cannot ditch out the music to the speakers with such perfection and realism, and I use the same OPPO 105 ,regular CD's I service it every year and this is a keeper, and it will stay in my collection for ever, things this good dont have a price.

Submitted by tom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I know there have been few reviews lately for this reciever. I can't help but to reiterate the great marks this reciever has earned. I just bought a Sumo Polaris amp and the tubelike tonal characteristic of this amp is a perfect match with the Rotel and my speakers. I recently came across some Snell CV's and needed to really open these babys up. The 50 Rotel watts was enough since these speakers are quite efficient, but now with 100 plus watts I can hear or feel that 24 hz even better. I also tried an NAD 3150 and that drove them well too, but not the same. The Rotel smokes the NAD in almost all regards. The biggest difference to me is that low bass floor the Rotel can project. The problem is without speakers like these you wouldn't even notice how that last octave is being handled. I have a Parasound 1500 preamp coming. If it works I can't wait to hear if there is any improvement. I'm not sure there can be much but it is hard for me to believe a reciever can sound this good both on it's own and as a preamp. I haven't climbed too far up the hi-fi ladder yet, but on my budget I am lucky to have found this piece and the Snells are amazing too.

Submitted by tom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Submitted by Dave Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
Associated equipment:

Rotel RCD-950 cd player
Systemdek IIX turntable
NHT SuperOne speakers on Target stands
NHT SWP2SI powered subwoofer
Magnum Dynalab FM antenna

Compared with a Rotel integrated that was close to the same price and found virutally no difference. Enjoy listening to some of the public radio and classical/jazz stations in the area. VERY good tuner section when coupled with a good antenna. We live near an apartment building and the combination of the Rotel and Magnum Dynalab antenna does a great job at reducing multipath interference.

Still listen to vinyl so having the phono pre-amp section was a real plus. Again, very quiet and musical.

Until I got the powered sub to take some of the load off, must admit the Rotel had trouble driving the SuperOnes, which are a fairly insenstive compact speaker. With the powered sub, this baby rocks! Feed it some Miles Davis, Massive Attack or Blue Rodeo, whatever your tastes may be, and you will be impressed. If you don't want to spend the money on separates, this is a very acceptable alternative. Problem is, I've cannibalized the NHTs for my home theater setup and need some new speakers. Anybody have suggestions, feel free to e-mail me. Need a sensitive speaker that is less than $1,000/pair. Currently using an old pair of Paradigm 7SEs. Great speaker in its time but I can afford a bit better now.

Submitted by Kevin a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased the RX-950 used and have been *very* happy with it's performance. It replaced a 100wx2 Yamaha reciever. I will never go back to Yamaha/Sony/etc for music (maybe for HT). I 'borrowed' a 75x2 rotel integrated amp from a local store and couldn't tell much difference (I was very impressed). Very highly recommended.

High End: