ROTEL RX-1052 Receivers

• Output Impedance: 75 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 500 µV/m

Submitted by peterl69 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
I feel the need to update a prior review of the Rotel RX-1052 and something said is no longer accurate. The newer model for 2007 does have a pre-out not whereas it had non before. A pre-out is really nice since you can add an amp (this receiver cost about what a tuner and pre-amp would cost), or a subwoofer. Nice. My compliments to Rotel for correcting this shortcoming!

Good voicing, electronics, and power are what you of course are looking for in an amp. It seems to me that each company voices or sort of presets what the sound coming out will be like. Nice that this receiver gives you a bass and treble control to taylor your own sound.

Rotel is a little secretive about how this amp handles 4 ohms and the current it produces, but it is an understated and large power supply and a little heavier than some others advertising more power. Huge capacitors etc. and quality throughout this amplifier.

I had some AV123 Ref 1 speakers know for a slight tendency toward sibilance which sounded as such with this Amp. However, my Dynaudio Focus 140s and Merlins TSM MMs sounded perfect with this Amp which brought out the highlights of both of these wonderful audiophile grade speakers without sounding harsh at all. B&W dealers typically connect with Rotel gear to minimize the effects of what some consider a harsh metal dome tweeter. But don't misunderstand, this receiver is detailed and revealing - but without going overboard. I chose it with my speakers over the Harman Kardon which is a little softer and warmer but not quit as detailed (and about 1/3 the price). Now if I purchased some AV123 Ref 1 speakers again or some Dali Helicons, I might go with a Harman Kardon (or a good EQ) to soften the sound slightly for my tastes.

Purchased At:   Rotel Dealer

Submitted by peterl69 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great Construction. Good Detailed Sound. Understated Power. Pricey but high end. Dissapointing user options though unless you are fixated with using seperate zones through it. They give you 4 zone (room capability) if you want to wire and put amps in other rooms (obvious limited use here), but leave out important options for any receiver such as a pre out/in, or subwoofer out, or switchable outlets. One wonders if Rotel went zone crazy and left out important options to fit in extra zones, or they want to coax you into seperates, or both.

I have found by my tastes with bright speakers the warm, lower priced, and powerful HK3485 (though not as well constructed) sounds a little better and was easier to listen to without fatigue, and with more layed back speakers, the Rotel improves their sound being a bit more forward and detailed.

To use a subwoofer be sure that it takes speaker level input with this receiver. Or, you can trick the unit into using a sub with line out by connecting to one of the zones. However, the volume is adjusting for the zone seperately so when you turn the main power volume up or down the sub will not response accordingly. Also, you must turn the zone switch off when you turn the amp off, or it switch will remain hot.

For my tastes, the Rotel sounds the best and brings the detail out in slightly layed back speakers (example Dynaudio), and the Harman Kardon 3485 has better sound with slightly bright speakers (example Infinity, Kliptch, Onix Reference 1)and at less than half the price. The HK is not quit as well constructed though but offers a pre-out/in, a subwoofer out, and switchable outlets.

Purchased At:   Rotel Dealer

Submitted by Dano a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Overall, I'm pleased with this receiver, especially now. Let me explain. I purchased the RX-1052 along with an RCD-1072. Set the system up, connected to the new Paradigm Studio 20s I purchased. The sound was good, but not impressive. I figured the speakers needed some hours on them first. A month goes by, the sound doesn't really improve any after burn-in. Then I noticed a buzzing coming from the receiver. Not thru the speakers, but from the unit itself. I called the Home Theater Store, explained the problem. They got an RA (return authorization) from Rotel the next day and exchanged my unit for a brand-spanking-new unit from stock. This was after I'd had mine for ~40 days! Who does that any more? So I get the new unit home, hook it up, and wow...a completely different sound. It was crisper with much better bass response. This was more like it. I can say I'm now very satisfied and impressed with the performance. The dealer said the original unit probably had a bad transformer resulting in the reduced sound performance.

Purchased At:   Home Theater Store

Submitted by Thommy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
When the opportunity to purchase a well built piece of stereo equipment came my way my local audiophile shop reccommended the Rotel RX-1052 and its matching HDCD mate the Rotel RCD-1072. I have not been disappointed since! Sound quality through whatever speakers I have used is constantly superb! I use it for digital sound on my HD cable and HD DVD playerand my Rega 3 turntable. The next step up would be something like Musical Fidelity or Sim Audio! Sound produced by this receiver is pure and simply a good as what is inputted into it. I am being spoiled listening to this compared to the usual low priced Asian equipment.

Atlantic Technology :