Pioneer VSX-D1S Receivers

Early 90's receiver with Preamp out, Dolby 5.1 and a phono input.

Submitted by Karister99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
This Pioneer receiver is an awesome sounding unit, specially in the two channel stereo mode. In my opinion this is a great sleeper from Pioneer and due to it's black plastic look. I had gone through Sansui 9090db, Luxman R117, Marantz 2245, Nakamichi TA 4A, head to head with this VSX-D1S and this one hold it's ground with the big boys. This unit sounds really clean and very detail, great sound separation. I've seen them go on ebay for cheap time to time, if one can find one in good shape, never hesitate and you'll fall in love with stereo music all over again. This unit is pretty darn close to my Bryston, B & K and Acurus separates.

Submitted by Michael Godar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
This receiver was a shop left over repair with a rear channel issue and ended up as a trade in so my investment was less than 100US
This is a Monster class surround sound receiver from the early 1990s. Its a 5 star 10 out of 10 rated receiver in my book. Although it lacks modern upgrades for Video Using it as just a stereo receiver makes it a sonic treat for sight as well as sound.

I just installed this receiver in my personal sound room as a spare back up. My Mac 1900 required tuner service and needed to be pulled, Also installed a new stereo rack cabinet.
First impressions

Stereo Service Tech here so had this on the bench for a full test at the shop.This thing is rated at 135 WPC . Like the fact I can hook up a turntable to this unit.
Looks expensive and expensive with lots of bells and whistles ie controls and switchs lite's up like a star ship control panel.Lots of features including Tuner pre sets.Graphic EQ with visuals and lots of inputs and outputs. Plus one could expand with optional power amps(3).
It is loaded to the T
Makes an excellent super HIGH END stereo receiver for thousands $$ less over similar new versions
Drives my JBL L 50s Advents,KLHs very similar to the Mac but more than twice power,

This receiver was the best receiver Pioneer built since the SX-1250/1280's from late 1970s found on comments in other forums.
Bottom line The sound is excellent with power up the yeag yang .The fact it has full remote control operation ,makes it a real treat(Can sit in the lazy boy and can tweek the sound to my liking at will) may end up using this for quite some time
Original MSRP was $1600.00 back in the early 90s
These can be had for $50-$300.00, more bang for the buck Thrift store finds less than $50 if you are lucky.
You will love to own one of these. I do highly recommend placeing 2 small muffen fans on top center (one front )one (rear) to keep the electronics running cool.This will get hot and over time will break down and cause expensive repairs
Mike

Submitted by michael w. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hello fellow stereo enthusiasts, audiophiles, and music lovers! I am very enthusiastic about this receiver, as I recently reaquired it from a friend who also loves music and truly appreciates fine audio products. After using it for the last 2 years, he finally sold it back to me for a mere $50, but only because he was in a financial pinch. He did say however, that of all the receivers he's owned since he was in his teens (he's in his 50's now), this one was "The Ultimate." Unfortunately, when I first bought it, the place I was living in at the time was an old rental house with inadequate voltage and so I wasn't able to truly appreciate it's exceptionally low distortion (.005%), frequency response (5hz-100kz), and power (130 wpc in stero mode). The inadequate voltage coming from the outlets in the old house made it sound "grainy", besides I couldn't even crank it to 1/2 volume without the sound cutting off. This receiver has built in amplifier protection (lucky for me, or I would have surely fried it). I didn't know what was wrong at the time, all I knew was that it wasn't working for me. In fact, I didn't even think it was that good of a receiver. Fast forward to present day - this thing is freakin' awesome!!! It is absolutely the most badass receiver I own, and it is up against some stiff competition (I own 10 other receivers, including an Onkyo TX-8500, a Sansui au-11000, and a Harman Kardon AVR 7000). In my new house I can blast the volume well past the half way point and it still sounds crystal clear. What an amazing product. I wouldn't even think of selling it any time soon. In fact, I will probably hold onto this one indefinitely.

Submitted by phileserver39 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
This one of the best receivers that Pioneer has ever manufactured. This is a powerful receiver with a great preamp section. The phone stage is adequate as well although it probably won't satisfy the true analog enthusiast. I paid $50 for this amp 3 years ago and it worked flawlessly until recently when a hiss developed in all channels. I will definitely get this amp fixed as there is a shop locally that is Pioneer certified. After all, in real dollars, this receiver would go for just shy of $2K in today's market. It only has 5.1, true, but I would most likely be using it as a 2 channel amp. As a 2 channel amp this thing kicks freakin serious hiney.

Atlantic Technology: