Pioneer SX-6 Receivers

4.47/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $335.00

Computer Controlled Stereo Receiver

Submitted by kreilly76 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a used sx-6 in 1989 for $250 and have used and am still using to this day. It produces great sound and is probably one of the best buys I have ever made. I have two DCM speakers and all my stero equipment hooked up to it and I wouldn't trade anything for my sx-6. It was made back when equipment was made with balls.

Submitted by jg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought this thing for college in 1982 and it is still going strong and still works like new. Sound quality is outstanding. Yes, the volume is hard to set because it goes in discreet steps, not in a continuous adjustment. If you can find one on ebay for less than $20, and want some great sounding retro equipment, get it. Bought it for $250 in 1982, so I've enjoyed it for less than $10/yr. An absolute steal.

Submitted by bigtank a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have a SX-6 and it is great. I would have never know it to only be 45 watts per channel if i would have not read it. I have two bose speakers hooked up to it and my Ipod playing through it with its aux RCA input. I have the loudest system in my fraternity house by far and the best sounding. My dad bought this receiver when he was in college and now i have it through my college days. It holds up well to make it through two generations of college parties!

Strengths -- Inputs are great, extremely low THD, tuner, durability, and weight.

Weaknesses-- push button volume, and only a 2 band EQ

Submitted by jgmacv a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
The Pioneer SX-6 is a 45 wpc stero receiver. These models were produced between 1981-1983, and was part of Pioneer's "Champaign/Gold" series. The receiver is computer controlled, some of the first receivers to be fully synthesized and digitally controlled. I find the SX-6 to hold up well. My particular receiver works properly and has good clarity and pretty good low end punch, for a 45 wpc receiver. After doing research on this model, it appears the SX-6 also incorporated the "non-switching amplifier" technology, normally reserved for the higher end pioneer receivers, and produces a very low thd of 0.009. I am running this receiver with other champaign/gold pioneer components from that era, and am very pleased with the performance and sound quality.

Purchased At:   E-Bay Auction

Submitted by Michael Williams, Sr. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Pioneer SX - 6 is among is the rugged and reliable receiver I have ever encountered! ! This receiver has provided me many years of service despite the abuse of very loud house parties every other Friday or Saturday! I have totally destroyed other amps and receivers such as NAD, Carver, Kenwood, Yamaha,
Harmon and Kardon, Sony and newer "Pioneer" models! However, I can tell you from experience, that the Pioneer SX - 6 and probably the SX - 7 can take a licking and keep on ticking. "No Questions Asked" ! ! !

Purchased At:   The Federation Group