Pioneer SX-205 Receivers

3.17/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $220.00

Submitted by stereoguy11 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver from a local Salvation Army Thrift store 2 days ago for $35. I was definitely a bit skeptical, considering $35 was a bit on the pricey side for a 17 year old appliance with no guarantee or even redeemable store credit if there was something wrong with it. I knew I was taking a chance but I just went with it on a hunch. I noticed the power consumption was 190 watts, so I figured it must put out sufficiently more power than my 40 year old Marantz 2220 that I was looking to replace. I was on my way to work and couldn't wait to find out some information on it. So when I got there I asked a co-worker to Google the receiver on her phone. It said it had 100 wpc. "Wow!, " I said. But wait a minute, I thought, something's not right about those numbers. They're too freakin' high! I thought, there's no way that thing is REALLY putting out that much power. Maybe when I get home I can Google it myself and find out what the REAL power numbers are. You know, that's what I hate about these modern day hyped up power ratings, they're so dishonest! I would be surprised if this unit maxed out at 100 wpc. The real, old school "RMS" power rating is probably more like 50 wpc, I thought. So here's what I found out: THE REAL RMS POWER RATING IS 40 WATTS PER CHANNEL. So there you have it. Am I disappointed? Not in the slightest. 40 watts per channel is TWICE THE POWER that my old Marantz 2220 (20 wpc) puts out. Also, the total harmonic distortion (THD) on this receiver is only .09%, where as the 2220 has .9% THD. So it was a hell of an upgrade for only $35. For crying out loud, I paid $50 just to have that old Marantz professionally cleaned! And it still has a slight background "hiss" to it. What else can I say here? I can't complain. Oh yes, and by the way, this Pioneer performs FLAWLESSLY WITH NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER, EVEN THOUGH IT IS GOING ON 17 YEARS OLD. That should tell you something right there. You know, I've always been partial to Marantz (I own 4 of them), but Pioneer is slowly but surely earning a prominent place in my collection.

Submitted by Glimmertwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very colored amp. Cheap is the one word that comes to mind. Cheap price, cheap sound. Tinny highs, thumpy bass. There you have it.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Glimmertwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Adam Ebel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
The FM reception was remarkable (with a external antenna) normal. But the selectivity was pretty fair. Sound however is OK, not as good with 6 Ohm Awia Speakers, soon I going to have to upgrade to a subwoofer, and 100watt speakers. AM reception is great if you use a TERK AM loop antenna, but wth out it, its not too good. Soon I am going take to
get an upgrade on the ceramic filters, and see what happens. For now I am satisified with the SX-205.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Mike Spooner a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
all around i think the sx-303r is a good bassline reciever, my Girlfriend wanted a reciever in the bedroom *better then a 20$ clockradio* i tied it to a pair of Jensen 15's and have had NO problems with it. however whith those speakers they are so colored by themselves they accually made this low end reciever sound somewhat competitive *with the clock radio that is* i attached a pair of Tannoy 600 Reference monitors *my studio reference pair* and about gaged. this amp is VERY coloured however it is very linear in its distortions. if you wanted to waste the time you could EQ around the "Smiley Face" response of this unit but the pure CRUNCH of the audio is horrible... my sugestion is it is good for a NON-audio enthusiast. for basic LOUD sound it is a good rig and i dont regret purchasing one. and i would buy another one for the same application however i would NOT recomend it to the faint of heart audiophyle.

In summary, it is a solid piece of equiptment however you have to tie it to a properly coloured set of speakers to make it sound decient.. as for pioneer quality i must say i am disapointed in its acoustic performance in general but it is not an all bad unit.

however realise i am spoiled, i am used to working in a studio with a pair of tannoy series 600 speakers and a pretty crown amp and a Midas xl 200 console feeding it...

Purchased At:   Costco