Pioneer SX-1280 Receivers

4.88/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $950.00

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
Some guy chris was saying the FM de-emphasis should be moved to the back, I don't know what SX-1280 he's got but my de-emphasis is on the back. The older models had a push button on the face. Obviously he is clueless about this particular unit. It's a little black switch that has a clear screw down cover on it to keep it from moving to the other position. Just like the sansui he was bragging on. Why do these people write reviews about a product they never even saw before. Pioneers Sx-1280 is a wonderful piece of vintage equipment, when these are totally recapped with a decent TT and cartridge, its pretty hard to beat at just about any price nowadays

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
Bought my SX-1280 new in 1979 as a top quality solid state technology receiver/amplifier. I was initially relactant to accept it as a replacement to tubes sound quality, but the SX-1280 has proved it was almost there. Had it couple times failed to turn on. I found out on both times I had to replace all 4 diodes in the power supply. Since I used 1N4004 diodes in the repair, this problem never came back on again. My son offered to burry me with my SX-1280 in my 83 Volvo when I die!

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
My Sx-5590 looks the similar but its black with silver trim .It drives my Altec tri-flex speakers which have 20" woofers, mid range and a high range tweeter. I love this system. I bring it to an authorized Pioneer dealer to have it tuned and tested every couple of years. While its there they do what ever upgrades that are required. Its 120 or 240 volt and rated at 1200watts and an output of 160 watts per channel.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought my SX 1280 over the past weekend. I must admit, I wasn't in the market for one. I was in the market for a McIntosh but the one I was after was on hold for someone else. Then I saw the ad for the SX1280 with a picture. The picture is what caught my eye. What a beast, it was huge, and it was beautiful. The price was pretty high, higher that the Mac I was after. I did the research and found out it was one of the monster receivers from the eighties, putting out 185 wpc. Wow that something. I thought I'd take a chance, and Im so glad I did. I love this receiver. What power. The purchase of this created a chain reaction. The speakers I had really couldnt handle this reciever. I had B&W DM 220's. I had bought them to go with a lower powered Mac. But even at lower levels the B&W's couldnt handle the power. The next day I went out and bought a set of Yamaha NS. A match made in heaven. Such power. Such sound. Its literally music to my ears. I doubt I'm giving up any sound quality by not buying the Mac. Afterall it couldnt get any better! If you have the chance to pick up one of these, dont even bat an eye. Buy it, you wont regret it.

Submitted by Eric kates a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
My dad gave this to me 25 years ago. It still blows the doors off of everything today. Its built to last!!

Award-Winning Axiom: