Pioneer SX-1080 Receivers

4.8/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Vintage receiver late 1970s - early 1980s

Submitted by antonio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2017

Bottom Line:
quiero decir que si que son amplificadores de los 70 super buenos pero nos olvidamos sobre todo a los que venden este tipo de amplificadores antiguos que tienen 40 años de funcionamiento y por consiguiente estan gastados siguen sonando pero por dentro las piezas y sobre todo los condensadores estan agotados con esto que quiero decir o expresar que no se puede vender un amplificador como este por 1000 o 1300 euros ya que es un am,plificador viejo y habria que restaurarlo pero lo que mas me jode es que esto la gente les da igual o al vendedor de este tipo de amplificadores le da igual y no señores mios hay que ser consecuente con lo que se vende y el tiempo que tienen y los años que tienen de funcionamiento y no valen mas de 300 o maximo 500 euros sin restaurar ya estando restaurados de acuerdo que se pidan esos precios de 1000 y 1300 euros pero sin estar restaurados su precio es de entre 300 a 600 euros segun estado yo estoy en la busqueda de uno pero no pagando mas de 600 euros sin restaurar.

Submitted by autzen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought my SX-1080 brand new in 1979, It retailed for $750. That is equivalent to over 3 grand in todays dollars.

I have never had to have it serviced. I did take it in once to have it professionally cleaned. I am probably due for that again after another 15 yrs of use. I also use it to run my Blu-Ray player. Sounds awesome. Who needs 7.1 when you have this baby. I did buy a top of the line Denon a few yrs back and returned it, the sound quality was nothing compared to the Pioneer. You would have to spend 4 grand to get something to sound this good today. Il also have my 1977 Infinity speakers. Not the crap they make today.

Submitted by starshooter10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
wow it's been a year now and i must say my SX-1080 ROCKS! I love to listen to all types or music from classical to hip-hop this amp sounds buetiful with powerfull lows to a perfect emulation of a warm flute. This amp it a gentle giant: it will make all others seem on mute, to making the most peacful slumber occur. i've never had problems with this most reliable amp. and when paired with my sony SS-u870AV's and my bose 901's this can move all.

i came across this amp at a freinds house he had bought it at a garage sale used in box it's in good condition. he paid $10 for it and assumed it broke when it didn't power on right away, so he gave it to me and took it as a loss i left it on while making a snack and return to hear it roar (muting was off)

what would i do with out this gem?

Submitted by craig1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
i had an rca sta 3900 that got killed by lightning. it was a good unit. $100.00 at radio shack. better sound at low volume than most units costing $400.00 and up. bought a sony strde197. no monitor loop for my eq, no bass response what so ever compared to the rca. bought an onkyo tx 8511. monitor loop for the eq but bass response at low volume was still a joke. then it hit me.why not look for an old receiver like i had in the 70's. found the sx 1080 on ebay. brought back great memories. beautiful full sound at low volue without the eq. turn on the eq and it's unbelievable. high volume levels are dangerous with this thing. falling objects, neighbors, police, hearing damage. they can keep the plastic junk they make today. this is rated at 120 wpc. the ones today that are rated at 100 wpc are more lke 55 wpc. at least they sound that way compared to ths so-called antique. if you can find an old pioneer, buy it. you'll spend $1500.00 or more on modern equipment to match the sound of this receiver.

Submitted by spot_45 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
the story starts when my best friend rob wanted a new bass amp and so we serched the stores and used shops...then one day we were talking to the guy at the back of a guitar store in carleton place called src...where we discussed tube amps and sterio sistems and car set-ups ...he eventually told us of this big hunka-junk-ovan amp that was sitting in the back of the store and he said that someone had traded it for a deal...he said it was home maid and it came with twin 15" 200w speakers....neways we never bothered to look inside the amp cause it was a big trouble to lug the 300lb amp that was the length of the back of a volkswagon... wagon.....we also came across the problem of his bass overloading the amp and it would cut out...we just figured it a peice of crap and were about to throw it away when i ofcoarse wanted the tubes to make my very own electric amp....so i started to dismantle it and i just started to laugh when i saw that it was just a receiver...then i looked closer to see that it was the grand ol' pioneer sx 1080....the story ends by me jipping my friend and paying him the 100$ (when we all know its worth alot more) and i use it now to rock out my garage full of zeppelin...MUAHAHAHA!!!!

Purchased At:   some unknown guitar