Nakamichi RE-2 Receivers

4.69/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

55 W/ch, no video in/out, Harmonic Time Alignment circuits

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've used the RE-2 continuously since 1992 (20 years!) as the main audio receiver in my living room. It's certainly very basic compared to the receivers of today, but it still sounds amazing with all types of audio input (CDs, Bluerays, cable TV audio, etc). If you can still find it on Craigslist or eBay, I highly recommend it. Worth every penny.

Submitted by guevyr a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I got this Nakamichi RE-2 through Craigslist. For the money and after seeing the reviews, it’s worth trying a real stereo amplifier. I’ve got a Denon, Harman Kardon, and Yamaha AV receivers. Sure, they have the bells and whistles, but no matter what speakers I connect, I’m still looking for the “right” sound. I went to the hi-end audio shops downtown and those expensive gears just sound a little bit better, but not much.

When I hooked-up my Paradigm 5se MK3, it sounded great. Mordaunt Short 3.30, very good. Tannoy J30, superb. I stopped trying my other “better” speakers. I’m convinced that his Nakamichi RE-2 is an excellent receiver/amplifier. I didn’t know that my speakers are that good. The highs are crisp and clear. The lows are round or bold, but not boomy. Mid-range, I think that I can clearly every bit of sound played and connecting my subwoofers are longer necessary.

It’s a pity that Nakamichi was not able to adapt to the digital audio race which forced it to close shop.

Submitted by cre8design a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
The original owner with a set of B&W 602 and still sounds like the day I brought it home!! Clean and consistent sound throughout. No bells and frills, just good quality sound. The best way to discribe is all the instruments, voice, mids and high's are all at it's peek, but each sound is separated and they don't over power over the other.

Submitted by lancelot68 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I previously owned a Denon AVR-681 receiver which has more bells and whistles than the Nakamichi RE-2,but in my opnion is not as clean sounding.I can't believe this receiver is ten years old!By the way,The price of $150 that I paid also included an Infinity sub and satellite speakers.Was worth a trip to the pawnshop.

Purchased At:   Pawnshop

Submitted by adam2112 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
ok this receiver has low power only 55watts per channel. im using it as a pre amp . it has pre outs ok . ihave it controling a rotel amp rb1080 hooked up to a pair of bw nautilus 800 series 804 model speakers it sounds very open and acurate . im going to up grade to a better or sould i say adeadcated pre amp. but i must say this receiver is a great one compared to all the brands out there for the money . cant make a mistake if you find one in good condition buy it

Purchased At:   audio den