NAD T744 Receiver Receivers

Submitted by freeportaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
a fine amp. great there is no fan like some larger models. fans can be heard at lower volumes. ballsy nad sound. like it a lot. might be a model with lower incident rates.
stable into 4 ohms. no listener fatigue but a desire to hear the next song. garbage in garbage out so get some good cables (audioquest) and a good cd player. it wont let you down. two thumbs way up.

Submitted by Jfb2006 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am proud to be the first to review this outstanding receiver. I was in the market for a good home theater receiver, but I did not want to sacrifice two-channel playback, since that is what I enjoy most. After both auditioning and owning Harmon Kardon and Yamaha amps, I felt that nothing in my price range would be able to compete with my ancient Pioneer SA9100 integrated amp for sound quality. Then I saw this NAD T744 on a steep mark down at Audio Advisor, and I bit. I had heard good things about NAD's over all sound; and though I worried about NAD's reputation for "layed back" sound, and that at 70 watts the T744 might find it hard to push my relatively inefficient Quad 22L2 speakers (which I normally bi-amplify), I figured I could take the risk, and if necessary I could back up the T744 with my two Adcom amps. I soon learned, however, that my fears were totally unfounded. This amp gives a terrifically present sound and is totally unphazed by my Quad speakers, pushing them with apparent ease to extraordinary dynamics! The T744 completely out-classes the Adcom GTP 500II pre-amp I had used for a time (before discovering the vast superiority of the Pioneer SA9100). Indeed, the T744's pre-amp section closely rivals the 9100's, which I have grown to love. I am currently using the NAD's pre-outs to run a signal to the Pioneer's main-ins. The way the Pioneer amp is designed, I am able to run the same CD signal to both pre-amps and toggle back and forth between them with the flip of a switch for direct A/B comparison. I still have to give the nod very slightly to the Pioneer for sound quality, but the difference between them is so slight that I can't hear it unless my head is next to the speaker. Both pre-amp sections are uncolored and transluscent, revealing the little transient details that signify spatial relationships and bring a recording to life. One of my reference recordings features Riccardo Muti and the Philadelphia Orchestra performing "Bolero." The test is whether I can hear a number of light chair squeaks and leaves of sheet music being turned over at the outset of the piece. I could not hear these with my old Harmon Kardon, my Yamaha, or my Adcom GTP 55II. With the NAD, I can hear them.

PANAMAX: