NAD 7400 Receivers

Submitted by in2kma a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well, can I add something not already said here? To begin with, I previously owned a big fat Onkyo Integrated thing that i believed made my Dali 800 speakers sound fantastic. The I carried the 7400 home hooked it up, and then shipped the Onkyo away. The improvement was fantastic. The I realized that the 2400 Amp had the same stuff inside as the 7400, so I hunted one down, carried it home and hooked it up using the 7400 as a preamp. My Dali's just gets better and better! Then I managed to get hold of users manuals to both units and all of a sudden I had bridged them both into 2 X 200 W Mono amps. The Dali's got a bit better again. So now I'm happy, but worried that I will have to replace it all with some non exiting AVR thing to connect with my TV/DVD and such.
NAD is great stuff! And I don't need any better stuff really - and that is fortunata, because I wouldn't have the money to buy that stuff :-)

Purchased At:   from a bloke in a ne

Submitted by Pinkpank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
What can I say . . . my first $1000 earned in grad school went to a new receiver, since my Project One amp bit the dust. I compared a dozen+ amps, and after ditching Technics, Sansui and Onkyo amps I finally decided the NAD 7400 and the Carver amps met my needs. The 7400 took the cake thanks to the design. I got $100 off list (woo-hoo!) for taking a demo unit without box or manuals.

I have never regretted it. I had a relay go bad (fixed myself), and the past two years I used a Sony 310 (?) to fill in while trying to figure out why the laft channel in the 7400 was dead. Finally took it in and had cold solder joints fixed, so I'm happy as a clam to have the 7400 back.

I didn't realize (or had forgotten) how dynamic the 7400 is compared to lesser amps. Plus, the look and feel is first rate compared to frilly, low-end "consumer" electronics. I love the pseudo-parametric bass/treble controls, as they allow me to make up for the slight bass hump at 120Hz in my listening room, and the "Bass EQ" low-range boost makes my KEF C35 bookshelf speakers sound much larger than they are. Plus, the "bypass" button is a great quick "defeat" for the slight adjustments I make, and allows instant A/B comparisons.

The tuner and phone sections are also great, which makes it a joy to listen to urban stations that other tuners "fuzz", and records have a dynamic quality that the "cheap" amps could not touch. Not that I play many records any more . . .

Another plus that's less of an audiophile quality is that the remote sensor is super-sensitive, all universal remotes I try will work without even pointin at the receiver or being line-of sight. Do watch out, though, most universal remotes (even ones claiming NAD receiver compatibility) will NOT switch the 7400 back to "Tuner" mode after selecting another main (non-tape loop) source!!!

Overall, the most expensive and still best audio product I have ever bought!

Purchased At:   Champaign, IL 1989

Submitted by Tomislav Marinoviæ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Yes, it's expensive, but i can't see anyone who would regret for spending money on such peace of hardwear, esspecially when you know how good it is !

Purchased At:   that shop is closed

Submitted by Mike Little a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver about three years ago. It has performed flawlessly. I have used it as the centerpiece of a stereo music only system to great effect. The sound quality of the amps is superb for a receiver (or a mid-fi integrated amp). I am currently using it as a tuner/phono preamp/second zone amp for an A/V system. It has performed quite well in these roles. The FM tuner section is superior to most separates out there with the exception of the extreme highend. The FM separation could be better and the soundstage is not that deep. However this could be more of a function of poor signal quality with most of the stations around here. The phone preamp is versatile and clean sounding. Highly recommended for good quality sound at a great price if you can find one in good condition.

Purchased At:   Underground Sound - Memphis

Submitted by Terry Clark a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
This beefy (26 lb.) little receiver supersedes a 30 year string of good or great amplification machines from separates to 5.1-channel receivers. I purchased it from its original owner who bought it in 1990. At $300, it was the same price as my Sony surround receiver that now powers the bedroom system. There is a discernable difference in sound quality between them, in favor of the NAD 7000. I power JBL L-166 Horizon speakers with it, and the synergy is outstanding. Detail, but not hardness. Smoothness with extreme clarity. That extends to the non-digital sources well also--tuner and phono. The tuner is particularly good. Now that one never hears anything but CD sound from FM, this tuner mirrors that cleanness perfectly.

The functionality of the receiver is also above the fray. It has the usual NAD preamp out/main amp ins; banana plug speaker terminals; and soft clipping circuitry. Features not expected include three bass-region controls: subsonic filter, bass EQ (non-variable) with its own subsonic filter, and loudness (variable with gain) contour; FM section with both MONO and BLEND switching to receive very weak stations more cleanly; tape in/outs for 2 decks with dubbing in either direction (perfect for my minidisc recorder plus cassette deck); phono gain switching to accomodate moving-coil cartridges like my Ortofon; a muting circuit that engages automatically after power-up and is recommended DURING certain listening situations like high gain sources at low listening levels; and a nice ergonomic remote control that is easy to use in low light.

The power seems plentiful so far, but I have easy speakers to drive. Rated at 40 watts on sustained organ pedal (what else?), or RMS, it is apparently capable of around 100 clean watts per channel on normal musical signal with its peaks and valleys. And I doubt the average 100 watt receiver would sound as good at full power due to the NAD's transparency and the Soft Clipping circuit. Those are all at 8 ohms--4 ohm speakers should play a little louder at full power. The impedance is switchable on the rear panel, by the way. Is there anything NAD forgot?

If you acquire one of the various NAD receivers, try to get the owner's manual with it. Their common sense and thoroughness about use of the machine is hard to find.

I also have an NAD 7225PE receiver, and it's a simpler form of goodness. Also very gutsy for 25 watts.

Hey, have fun with your audio! Keep it simple.

Purchased At:   Ebay

NAD 7400 user manual

Hi there...anyone know where I can download a NAD 7400 user manual? I just picked one up and there's features on this receiver that I'm not familiar with. One of the binding posts for the speaker connections is broken, need to remove this post and replace with a new one. Where can I get a replacem ... Read More »

Denon 2805, Denon 3805 or Marantz 7400 ?

Hello ! I'm building a Home theater system ( giving more importance to music ). My current equipement is: - Stereo Amplifier: Luxman L-210 - DVD/SACD/CD: Sony DVP-NS900V - Stereo speakers: B&W 602 S3 I want to: - Buy 2 B&W 601 and one B&W LC60 to get surround speakers. And, about A/ ... Read More »

Marantz SR-7400, or Something Else for Pre-amp Use?

Hi All, I have an opportunity to get a new Marantz SR-7400 receiver for use as a Pre/Pro, feeding a 5 channel Rotel power amp. The price I have been quoted is $799 all in from an authorized dealer. My question to fellow discussion group members is if in the $1000 or less price range there are ... Read More »

TARA LABS: