NAD 712 Receivers

3.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

CONTINUOUS AVERAGE POWER OUTPUT INTO 8 ‡25W, Rated distortion(THD 20Hz-20kHz)0.03%, Clipping power (maximum continuous power per channel)40W

Submitted by zeppelinboy31 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just bought a new NAD 712 reciever for use with my "new" Carver M-1.0t power amp.
I'm using the NAD 712 as a pre-amp/tuner and it works superbly. It's very easy to switch back to a reciever by putting the "horseshoes" in again. This works excellent as a pre-amp and I am extremely happy.

Purchased At:   Audio Ventures (Wauk

Submitted by Randy Bey a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had the NAD for over a year now and consider it one of my better purchases. NAD has a reputation for spending money and engineering work where it pays off in the audio chain, not the pretty looks stage.

This is another example of this paradigm at work.

I have been thinking about upgrading from the NAD for six months now, but I cannot fault it for any particular reason. It is only for a stigmata reason that I want to upgrade. NAD is labelled as "mid-fi" by the elitists out there.

When I think of spending 5 times what I paid for the NAD to get something that will at best be it's equal I postpone my decision again and again.

I have yet to find fault with the NADs performance. I doubt anyone could.

Purchased At:   Stereoland

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
i have a set of tannoy saturn s6's, it drives these speakers incredibly well considering its only 25W per channel. It creates great sound; however, i find that the highs are not a pronounced as they were when i was using smaller speakers. That could be attributable to the fact that ive gained an extra woofer. Im looking forward to purchasing an NAD 216 THX or a 218 THX and seeing the improvement.

Submitted by Erik a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had a NAD 712 for a couple of years now. The sound quality is great and I just recently found out that it only has 25 W output power (while shopping around for an AV receiver). Some bad points : 1) a low hiss when the volume is up but no music is playing, 2) one channel goes away when I turn the volume down really low, 3) the tuner controls are a bit flaky (for instance, pressing up/down does not go from preset 5 to 6 but rather from 105.6 to 105.65 by default). I also think that I got something of a lemon; I've had it in for repairs twice now due to a bad power supply connector.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
This was a great purchase! I was originally looking at one of the AV receivers, but they were a bit too pricey. When I listened to this product, it blew me away and I couldn't beleive that it is only 25 Watts! Sounds more like 70Watts. This is my first product in home audio, outside a 12 year old boom box, so perhaps I am easily impressed, but I listened to a lot of more expensive recievers, all be it mostly AV receivers, but none had the earthly rich tones. Most other receivers sounded a bit brassy, so it was an easy choice. I am listening to it through Monito Audio Monitor 4s. Not a bad set up I have to say.

If you are on a budget, as most of us are, and don't need a lot of bells and whistles, the 712 is the one to look at first and last. And, if you are in Chicago, check Saturday Audio Exchange. They don't work on commission, and are more helpful than anyone else in the city.

CSB 1206 BLK: