NAD 7020 Receivers

4.54/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Excellent tuner and pre-amp

Submitted by Terence a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 NAD 7020's in 2016, one being shot was a parts unit (a black 120V/60Hz), the other was a working unit (a beige 220V/50Hz). Unfortunately, the beige unit stopped working after half a year of intermittent use in my bedroom as a radio/CD source for leisure lsitening.

My 7020 drove two pairs of speakers, an AR3a pair, and a Celestion SL 700 pair. Occasionally, I moved it to my main rig and used it to drive my two pairs of stacked JBL 4320 (which BTW to me is intrinsically far superior to any 4333/4344/4345 due to its simple two way design).

In all these pairings for the 7020, I heard very convincing sound, life-like, vivant, quite detailed, and three-dimensional. It lacks some sparkle in the top end but its bass is quite warm and well controlled. Paired with my 15" woofer JBL 4320 fours, it gave very good sound compared to my usual tube combo (Audible Illusion 3D preamp, and four Ampex 6973 mono blocs, which together has the best bass and the sexiest top end in my rig). For the money I paid in 2016 ($150 for two 7020, and a parametric EQ unit), it was a no-brainer to decide to buy a 7020.

The 7020 really surprised me when I first heard it. It sound a bit better to me than the 3020 did coz the 7020 sounded a bit more vivant and detailed. The 7020/3020 would be my every-green go-to HiFi hardware for any type of music to listen to.

BTW, its FM section drifts quite a bit. Best would be to use the tuner after about 1 hr of warm-up. Then it will behave quite stably.

Submitted by Carey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I continue to use my Nad 7020 daily. The tuner is excellent picking up many radio stations, with little drifting of the signal. The sound is full, and imaging very good. After all these years it continues to work well. I bought it 4 years ago from a person who cleaned the inside and calibrated the tuner.

Submitted by Asellus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Helped my Dad purchase a receiver, speaker and casette system in 1990. Compared a Yamaha receiver of similar price at the same time and there was no comparison. The NAD sounded smooth, warm and sweet, the Yamaha thin and harsh.It is able to drive two, mid size Energy ESM 3s, has been very reliable apart from needing a new power supply some years back, but considering the use and age, this is acceptable.
Now my Dad has upgraded to a Marantz Sr4300, and I now have the NAD in my bedroom driving two Sony "micro system" type speakers, and it sounds great, much better than the Micro System it replaced (no shocks there!)

Purchased At:   New Zealand

Submitted by jon bridgman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
wow,im really amazed at the beautiful crisp,sound this reciever produces through my vintage JBL4311 studio monitors.was listening to some old link wray vinyl played on my thorens,in preparation of the upcoming show at the montage,and am relly blown away by the crisp highs and smooth bass,nice separation,and inaudible distortion.awesome!!!

Submitted by Will Simmering a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
While not as sexy as new, digital turbo-charged home theater systems, the NAD 7020 still manages to produce much the same sound quality as it did when it was an audio-phile component in the late 70's early 80's. My system is hooked up to a NAD 6050C Cassette deck and an old set of Polk Audio model 5's, which, most of the time, produce clear, clean sound that comfortably ranges from back-ground music to filling a room, and at a rated distortion of only 0.02%. And this despite an average power output of 20watts per channel average, 40 watts max at 8 ohms.

Old promo material boasts that "for the student or first-time stereo shopper, the 'no frills' design and moderate price make the NAD 7020 an ideal choice; for the music-music lover seeking uncompromised performance, few receivers at any price will sound as good in everyday use." Despite its age and occasional crankyness, the NAD 7020 sounds just as good as many, more modern systems.

Purchased At:   Studio Sound