Marantz SR-7400 Receivers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $739.00

• 105 x 7 all discrete Amplifier Channels
  • 192kHz/24-bit DACS for all 8 channels
  • 32-bit custom DSP chipset
  • Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES (Discrete, 96/24, Neo:6.1, SRS Circle Surround 6.1 and Tru-surround Headphone
  • World s first Home Theater Receiver to incorporate Dolby Pro Logic IIx
  • HD component video switching with High Quality video up conversion
  • Speaker A and B with Multi-room with Multi-Speaker

Submitted by presidio2001 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
I own two SR7400's to power my two surround sound systems. One is composed of two Kef 140.2 and Kef iQ3 with Kef 200c as center; and one composed of two Kef C55 and Kef200c as center with Kef 90C, 100C as surround-back. Although I have Ch7.1 setup, I listen to classical music a lot more on 2-channel stereo setup. It has multichannel fundtion. I still decide to go for two because I really appreciate it. I like SR7400's well balanced sound. It mixes well with Kef which is particularly good for symphony and opera. In order to get rich higher pitch such as violin and piano's high notes, I toy with its stereo A+B output mechanism which I found is useful for classical music lovers. I experiented with two Dynaudio Contour 1.1, I get unbelievable result very close to a pair of Kef 207.2 powered by Chord preamp/amp inthem a dealer's showroom. If you are new to high-end stereo, SR7400 is a great starting point. I bought my second one from CL for $200.

Submitted by BDM730 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
I WAS ABOUT TO GO WITH A TWO CHANNEL PRE AMP WHEN MY ONKYO DTR-7 DIED. THAT CHANGED MY PLANS AND IM GLAD.I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS RECEIVER. I USE IT AS A PRE AMP AND TO RUN MY CENTER AND SURROUNDS. I AM GETTING THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. DONT GET ME WRONG YOU WILL GET ALOT WITH A PRE AMP,BUT TO GET YOUR DD,DTS AND PRE AMP ALL IN ONE ISNT A BAD DEAL.
MY SPEAKERS ARE NHT VT-2 AND RUN A 6 OHM LOAD. THE MARANTZ

SR7400 IS ABLE TO TAKE THE LOAD BUT I AM NOT GOING THERE. I USE A PARASOUND HCA 2200 TO DO THAT. THEN I USE THE SR7400 TO RUN CENTER AND SURROUNDS.
NOW TO WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR, THIS GAVE ME A GREAT SOUND IN TWO CHANNEL AUDIO WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME THAN HT. BUT LACKING THE FUNDS TO HAVE IT ALL IT GAVE HT ALSO WITHOUT NEEDING ANOTHER AMP.
THE REMOTE IS TOP LINE AND WILL REPLACE ALL OTHERS.YOU CAN MAKE MACRO USE WHERE YOU PUSH ONE BUTTON AND IT WILL DO LIKE 7 FUNCTIONS AT ONCE.
IM NOT THE BEST REVIEWER PROBALLY BUT I WILL SAY FOR US ENTRY LEVEL POOR FOLKS OUT THERE THIS RECEIVER IS A GREAT DEAL FOR THE MONEY. YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT AS LONG AS YOU DONT TRY TO OVER DRIVE IT WITH HI END SPEAKERS.

Purchased At:   UNDERGROUND SOUND

Submitted by cansrsrivr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
This receiver replaced my entry level, Yamaha RX-V630, which convieniently stopped working as I was thinking about upgrading my speakers, particularly my center speaker. After buying the SR-7400, I don't entertain this thought anymore!

I'm not claiming that my system is in the relm of autophile quality, but it still gives me a "wow" effect quite frequently. Hopefully, my listening skills won't improve, because I'm really happy with the quality and the amount I have spent on this system. For me- I'm there!

I have not noticed others' comment about it getting overly hot. Perhaps because I don't play music or movies very loud. My listening area is approximately 12 x 20, and the seating is about 9 feet from my L/R speakers. I run Athena AS-F2, AS-C1 and AS-B2 for my front, center, and surrounds respectively, plus AS-P300 sub.

I get the impression of a wide sound stage, and good imaging. Quality of the recording makes a huge difference, and on the best recordings the system sounds great.

The biggest difference I've noticed is in the dialog. Voices of James Erl Jones and others with great timber in their voices now have the deep, full sound. However, I would agree with the "warmer" sound with music than my old Yamaha... which is nice.

At this price point, I wish I would have spent $300 more at the start. I cannot imagine how much more it would take to get anything that would sound significantly better to me.

Finally, the remote is very powerful. It is a true learning remote. My wife bought me a universal Sony remote for my birthday, but apparently it had a significant learning disablity... it just never got much beyond the basics right. The remote for the SR-7400 is so much better.

Purchased At:   accessories4less.com

Submitted by smokehouse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
I’ve had the pleasure of having this receiver in my home for two years now. I replaced a dying B&K AV5000 and Yamaha pre/pro with this unit. For an all-in-one this receiver is a great bargain, plain and simple. Heck it’s almost worth owning for the remote! I’m running a full B&W 600 series set with this unit and am happy to report that it has always done well pushing them at reference or over reference levels. For an all-in-one it’s not as bright as many other receivers, I’m happy to report that. Like stated below this unit gets HOT so be sure it has plenty of ventilation. I called the Marantz service line and they stated that normal operating temp is around 130 degrees. As hard as I’ve pushed it with tracks like lord of the rings in DTSES running a full 6.1 setup, this receiver never really seems to fold like many do. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not perfect and at VERY high volumes will strain but at that point, so will your ears. All around a great piece and worth the $1000 asking price.

One last thing though, I could not resist the separates bug, I’ve since replaced it with a Rotel PMB-1075 and soon RSP-1066 pre/pro. For the time being I’m using the 7400 as a processor only and am happy to say it’s doing great at that as well. Man, I’ll really miss that remote!

Purchased At:   Auth dealer

Submitted by Brinke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
I wanted to replace my Sony 30ES stereo amp with surround sound to play movies and music DVD's. However, stereo listing is most important to me. Some freaks claim that you have to pay a fortune to get resonable sound from a surround amp in two channels.
The Marantz had some good tests for two channel performace as well and it was a good deal so I tried.

The result is great. Music in two channels sounds warmer and fuller than the Sony. It's a bit more laid-back but that's an advantage most of the time.

My rather old Sony 20ES CD sounds great over the internal DAC's in the Marantz, more refined and smother then the Sony.

In addition to this, I get the multi channel. Music DVD's like Steely Dan's "Two against nature" sounds great in DTS.

I improved stereo sound and added the multi channel.

Purchased At:   Expert