Marantz SR-68 Receivers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Stereo Receiver

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Bottom Line:

This is an excellent budget receiver. I picked it up for
a second system for my library, and I'm fairly pleased with
it -- and *very* pleased for the money I spent ($279 at
http://www.stereofactoryoutlet.com). It doesn't have
wads of features like the new AV receivers, but it does
the basics well. I'm using it in a difficult 18x16 room
(too many hard surfaces!) with a Marantz CC48 CD player
and B&W 602s (just like Jared, what a coincidence.) The
68 certainly has enough power for that, and sounds very
good with choices from the Stones to Puccini. Cranked up,
it manages to rock the house.

If I hadn't been on such a strict budget, though,
I might have gone with something like the Yamaha AX592
or similar. The Marantz has a warmer tone than is strictly
accurate, I think, and I prefer a bit more even-handed
neutrality...

Still, all-in-all, a very good deal for the money; I'm
not sending it back!

Purchased At:   http://www.stereofactoryoutlet.com

Submitted by vinnie rossi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this receiver. The new sony stereo receiver sucks! its so shrill and irritating. The marantz sounds so sweet, very tight bass, excellent sound with the tone controls at flat. no need for boosts, its just right.
im using paradigm speakers and a velodyne sub and it rules.
even better, i got it new for 285$ from a marantz dealer!

Submitted by Andy Coan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up a store demo-model for $300, and greatlky increased the qualit of my (newly-upgraded) system!

Currently using:

Marantz SR-68 receiver
Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers (highly reccommended at any price!)
Monster M-Series cables (single-run)
BetterCables interconnects (a steal at $49)
Kenwood 103CD CD player (one of the best mass-markets, IMO)

With the BetterCables, the receiver provides clean sound and is very quiet at any volume setting.

Power is clean and quite sufficient (the monitor 9's are 92dB sensitvity, titanium tweeters), music of any type is mostly uncoloured (too much carpeting in my apt. tends to muddy the bass a touch), spacious and dynamic.

Haven't heard it with other speakers, but it is extremely well-balanced with the Paradigms, and I would expect the same with anything. Tone controls (bass and treble) do seem unnecessary, and I wouldn't reccommend touching them at all. If you do, use a light touch!

Have also used my system with room-mate's DVD; movie sound is clear, with dynamic effects and realistic dialogue. So it IS quite usable with HT, without the Dolby multi-channel, of course.

All the marks of an entry-level high-fi receiver: solid build, quality binding posts, etc. Don't use the tuner much, but it seems adequate (I'd try a separate antenna, tho--spade and coax. inputs provided).

Overall a great-sounding piece of equipment for it's purpose, and a real bargain in my opinion. Came highly reccommended by the dealer who sold me my Paradigms, and he was right on. Hard to imagine better sound for $400.

Submitted by Jared Snyder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
System
Marantz SR-68 Receiver
Pioneer Elite PDF19 CD Changer
B&W DM602 Speakers (bi-wired)
Paradigm PDR10 Subwoofer
Audioquest Jade Interconnects
Audiostream Cables

I'm thrilled with the way the entire system sounds.Every component gets 5 stars because I got the sound I wanted and I only went about $900.00 over my origional budget.But it was worth it.I've fallen in love with music all over again and I will spend hours listening to everything in my music library. The Marantz is an excellent compliment for the 602's - warm and clean. A friend asked me to put a system together for him and I bought another Marantz (paired w/ Paradigm Mini Monitors -also highly recommended- and another PDR10 Subwoofer). It's another excellent match.I paid $350.00 for the Marantz.
One final piece of advise - Don't be afraid to spend over your budget to get the sound you want. The joy of listening to the system of your dreams will outlast the fear of not making your rent for a month or two.I found this out through experience.

FGH 26: