Marantz SR-5400 Receivers

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

• 90 x 6 all discrete Amplifier Channels
  • 192kHz/24-bit DACS for all 7 channels
  • 32-bit custom DSP chipset
  • Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS ES (Discrete, 96/24, Neo:6.1, SRS Circle Surround 6.1 and Tru-surround Headphone
  • HD Component Video switching
  • Front A/V inputs
  • System Remote

Submitted by Vlad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great receiver. Bought it to complement my B&W 602 S3 Speakers and I have to say, this receiver makes me happy every time I turn it on. I play vynils through some professional dj equipment using this receiver and the sound is unbelievable, just perfect warmth and frequency response to my ears. You can buy more expensive receivers to get better sound, but there's no cheaper receiver that sounds just as good AND has the 6.1 channel capability.

Purchased At:   Stereo Exchange

Submitted by lizcuda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've been reading all reviews about this receiver but nobody tells anything about it's treble problem, I can't get crispy sound either, tried all options with great speakers but still my old pioneer vsx-D510 receiver satisfy me with much better treble. Does anyone help?

Submitted by Pichistrilli a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
The sr 5400 is a great receiver, because ita a marantz, excellent quality of construction and the sound. The design is very simply, but i love it. I like very much the highs because are very defined, but not harsh or bright, anda the bass is very solid. The only thing that i'm not agree is the bass management for the sybwoofer, because it gives the posibility to set the high pass filter to 80,100 and 120 hz, not higher or lower and don't give the option to cancel the filters, because i have a sub that doesnt hace LFE input, for this reason i have two filter, the receiver one and the sub one, and it is a problem to set up the sub frequency because those ones interacts. I love the aluminium front pannel, mine is black ind a lije ir a lot. Is a very comlete receiver and very simple to use and set up. Im really pleased whit this system, and sounds perfect. Have 90 w per channel, but doesn't have distortion. The remote control is symple, but i like it, because the system is symple.

Purchased At:   600

Submitted by Audiopleased a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently replaced my Denon AVR 2803 with this Marantz. I have to first say that the Denon is a very fine piece of equipment. I would like to start by saying that it seems Marantz has went that extra step in craftsmanship that is easy to notice in appearence alone.

Although the SR5400 boasts 90 WPC to all channels this is a conservative rating. I am using the main pre outs to drive a power amp for my front speakers. I have been very pleased with the sound and overall performance of this amp. There are plenty of AV inputs and outputs which make it very flexable. The set up was easy and for it's price point it was very hard to resist. I am realling looking at other marantz equipment now. I must say that in the 1980's I would not have bought a cable from Marantz and it is good to see this turn around in the company.

Purchased At:   Nickolson's Audio