Marantz 4240 Receivers

3.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

Marantz 4240 Quad Receiver

Submitted by Pathetique a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
My 4240 is replacing a rather nice but souless Denon 5.1 surround unit that I've had for several years....I want to get more tone from 2 channels with the option to play with 4 speakers -- visa vis the 'quad' setting here with the decoder which was included...This baby is amazing....I am hooked!!! The sound is fantastic...this from a musician with a developed ear and a penchant for tall blondes (but that is another story)....

So what is it with these old Marantzs??? One word....TONE....you hear the recording in all of its articulate nuances...you hear the swell of instruments...and you push speakers to perform as they were intended to....I love this unit and to my knowledge it is in its original form....the tiny light directly on the indicator is out...but that intoxicating blue glow is there.....

Bravo Saul...you are the man!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Marc W a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Picked this up on ebay a few months ago for my "dorm system." Left the Home Theater set up back home so I needed to purchase a good Stereo reciever for my room. The receiver was to be paired with Paradigm Mini Monitors and a Thorens TD 125 MK II. Websites such as this one led me to Marantz and I am not dissapointed. Now, I don't think there is anything I can say about this unit, or any other vintage Marantz for that matter, that has'nt been said 1,000 times before so I'll just go ahead and give it the 5 stars that it deserves and move on. Just one thing in closing, to the guy below who claimed this unit had "no power," you must be on crack buddy, because this sucker cranks. 40 VERY conservative watts. It gives my Paradigm speakers all they can handle.

Submitted by Brian a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Marantz 4240 Is a Great sounding reciever. Most of todays junk won't be around next week let alone 20+ years from now. If you don't switch the power switch from 4 channel to 2 channel when it's on, you won't have a problem with this reciever. Remote controls and digital read outs are nice but how does it sound. Thats what matters. After listening to a Marantz 4240 for about 17 years, I thought I could find something better. Not! I found very Good equipment but not better. I increased the watts from 40 to 220watts but still didn't sound better. I bought a Onkyo M-508 Pioneer C90 preamp and Klipsch speakers. Well the pre-amp was replaced by a Carver which helped alot. But for all that Money and Watts my Dads Marantz 4240 Still sounds Best!!!!

Submitted by L Truesdell a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Marantz 4240 is probably one of the best designed receivers that Marantz had made during the 70's. While not a powerhouse, the circuit design is quite unique for it's time, and the fact that 4 channel was going through it's growing pains. I have worked on electronics for the past 30 + years and am still impressed with the tight RF front ends of these receivers. Good sensitivity, image rejection, and selectivity are it's claim to fame, as well with the 2270, and 2275. They were indeed a workhorse for the many years that they have been around, and hence still perfrom very nicely after 20 + years of service. As with any vintage electronics one must understand that for electronic componets to hold up for that period of time, the quality of the parts must be exceptional as well. Regular check ups and normal replacement of worn parts are as much a concern, as changing the oil in your car.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Steve a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I own a Marantz 4240. I love it. It doesn't have alot of power but, it has beautiful sound! One of the best recievers I have heard. This sounds better than most new stuff does. This can drive most speakers as loud as most people can stand. It has alot of features too. Nothing else to say... This reciever is an awesome piece of classic audio equipment.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile