Marantz 2250B Receivers

4.79/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $425.00

50 wpc, built 1976-1977

Submitted by dakatabg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
Price Paid: $165.00 from craigslist

Summary:
I got this beast on craigslist for the great price of $165. The receiver was restored and all the light were changed. Everyone was talking how good those Marantz receivers are and I decided to get one. What can I say about the sound? You can tell by the reviews of the other people and the brand name! It is a very clear sound with deep bass and the mids and highs are so clear. This silver face with the light will take your eyes right away! The receiver can drive any speakers with a lot of power. It is rated 50W but it sounds for 10 times more so don't judge by the wattage.

Strengths:
Clear warm sound, great bass, mids and highs with adjusting levels

Weaknesses:
None

Similar Products Used:
Sansui, Mcintosh, Yamaha, Pioneer and all old classic receivers

Submitted by RocknRum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
Very smooth sounding receiver and yes it is audiophile quality by any means.
Old audio equipment should be checked by a vintage tech before using.
This sounds better than my Yamaha RX-V870 surround. Also sounds better than my Pioneer SX-980 somewhat. One quarter volumne is usually loud enough, but one half volumne will really rock the place. This will blow away the 80 watts per channel yammie I have. Sonically the best I've listened to so far.This I'll never part with.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by jawzx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
A great, reliable, well built peice of equipment. Sounds good enough to listen to, I still keep it around for the tuner.

I bought a 2250 at a yard sale when I was 12, it was my first step up form the Fisher Price recod player I had since I was 6. It initialy blew me away played through my dad's old Electro-Voice speakers. Sure it was step up from the Fisher Price unit...

Any way I continued to enjoy this receiver for many years to come, with my Sony cd player, EPI model 70s, then Paradigm Titans and fianly Paradigm Mini-Monitor V1s, at which point I realized my receiver was now the limiting factor, not my speakers. I replaced it with a Jolida 101 integrated tube amp, but the Marantz's awsome analog adjusted PLL tuner continued to provide my AM/FM until the Onkyo TXDS494 rocketed me into the multi-chanel world.

The Marantz is built like a tank in all respects, and has a great look with all the soft blue and creamy-white light comming from the front panel. The amplifyer section may actualy be stronger than the pre-amp section in over all audio quality (running the variable outputs from my Sony CD directly into the processor loop in on the Marantz yeilded cleaner treble and tigher bass) and although it's sound is stellar for solid state equipment of it's vintage it manages to be both a little smeary and a little grainy in the top octives. Bass performance is good, but it doesn't rule with an Iron Fist the way some Sansui and all McIntosh equipment of this vintage does. Then again it was less expensive than either when new. Midrange sound is smooth reasonably dynamic and mostly free of color.

Better built than anthing you can buy today for less than $2000, and still good enough to run a second system without too many apologies. I suspect I'll pass this unit to my children or grand-children (if I ever have any) and someone might still be using and enjoying it 100 years from now.

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by dahMarantzGuy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amplifier about 5 yrs ago. I moved from a small boombox to this amp. It kicks ass. It has plenty of power. it is aways crystal clear and crisp sound. Unlike the models of today it has a pleseant warmth to it. I have never hand any problems with it. Except for the fact that the power switch needs to be cleaned about every year and half. It becomes a hasle to just turn on. I would recomend this amp for anyone

Purchased At:   AlphaTech Electronic

Submitted by danfs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing system. Currently I have the Marantz 2250 B on a brand new pair of Athena AS-F1's. This reciever is driving these nicely. Rated at 60 X 2 this pushes harder than that. And rocks these speakers.

Purchased At:   Dad's Old one (20 y

My Marantz 2250B with a new look

Here is the Marantz 2250B with the upgraded lights [IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/119m255.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

Atlantic Technology: