Luxman R117 Receivers

4.79/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Submitted by Joan Price a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Bottom Line:
I just received my Luxman R-117 back from an authorized luxman repair shop in Connecticut. It needed a left channel and cost me $350 including shipping to repair it. I've been without it for almost two years as high-end shops in the area said it was unrepairable and parts unavailable. I am thrilled, to say the least. I have it paired with up with KEF 104's in my living room and just got KEF 900's for my family room. (I only run one set at a time and can hear crisp, clean, meticulate music house-wide). The Luxman drives these speakers so well that I only have to turn the volume up to less than 1/4. Needless to say the sound is phenomenal.

Submitted by Burndoghyena a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought a R-115 back in 1993 , I never new how good it was till I had to replace it , forget it , I got a Pioneer Elite nice for movies but no where near for music , my friends always told me how it was so awesome.Well after missing it for the last 3 years I found a R-117 today and I am so happy paid $160. Can (alot for a 20 year old reciever) but I now I am putting the Wattage in the Cottage and loving it . Oh ya the r-115 fried the unit only the cd direct worked and it was unfixable I think the guy kept it.The clean sound Power to spare with no distortion and great clean crisp bass even with tv I noticed the difference , new stuff has too much processing going on .I had a pair of Cerwin Vegas D-9's i then bought the Paragms 11se MK3's and ran them together wow what a sound stage , I miss it but took up to much room , I am gonna upgrade my speakers soon maybe 40's or another canadain brand or even Klispch.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by scott a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
Bought this receiver in 1985 & it has treated me right ever since.
I have had it paired up with Ininfity RS-7s, Bose 901s, & various subwoofer set-ups along with the Inifinitys.
Power to spare & quality sound, at least to my ears.

Purchased At:   ??

Submitted by SCSam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased my R-117 off of craigslist, I lucked out as the dodgy channel cleared up with some deoxit. This is one of the best built receivers of he middle 80's and handily beats the similar spec NAD 7600. The R-117 rates at 160 wpc but can produce an astounding 700 watts of dynamic headroom. For a high powered receiver, it sounds sweet at both low and high volumes. No sound processors or amplifier modules to color the sound, just good old fashioned output transistors. The R-117 has a second pre-out so I am bi-ampig with the amazing M-117 power amp that is even more powerful at 200 wpc. I am use this setup to bi-amp Dahlquist DQ-32's with the R-117 driving the mids and tweets and the M-117 driving the woofer. The M-117 has separate gain controls so I am able to balance the output. The R-117 and M-117 are a perfect pair as the R-117 volume control is linear for both amps. Be sure to get the RR-117 remote control.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by Doug B. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for 2 (2) Luxman R-115 receivers. One was bought for parts.
Neither has a working tuner, although both sellers claimed they worked fine before shipping. Never-the-less, I am quite impressed.
One only works through the CD bypass unit. It will drive my B&W speakers to levels far beyond what I can stand.
On the second R-115 everything but the tuner section functions.(but on this one the CD bypass doesn't work.) Some parts swapping is clearly in these units futures.
Basic sound is solid state, but certainly not too harsh, either. Vocals, especially older recordings, do not sound too good. However, orchestra climaxes are handled with remarkable clarity. The unit does not distort under pressure. I am going to try different speakers for my old opera singers, and see if I that will help. But the B&W's are first class on modern stereo and can not be faulted.
One note I did not see in the other reviews: The R-117 has a front switch for changing the phono-input between magnet and coil types. The R-113 and the R-115 do not. I have also seen listings of a R-114, nut am not sure if that was from the same model run.
Victrolas and London Stereo Treasury recordings of classical music will show spectacularily well with this amp - if you have some give them a try. If you don't buy the Reiner Don Quixote or the Ansermet Firebird and see what you've been missing.
The newly remastered London classical CDs also are most impressive, as are the RCA CDs.

PANAMAX: