Luxman R-361 Receivers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

AM-FM Stereo Audio/Video Receiver 100x2

Submitted by bojorn danski a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
above says it all

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by optides a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
A great receiver -- or at least the most satisfying of five I've had since 1967!

I hit a fantastic deal in spring 94 at Myer-Emco middlebrow stereo emporium, which was closing out Luxman as Lux departed the U.S. market. (I was told that one of the technicians was waiting to buy it, as soon as the regular retail customer phase of Myer-Emco's sale was over! I guess fairplay rules do hold somewhere.)

I've never achieved clipping, by a darn sight, but then I play mostly jazz and classical. On the other hand, I used to have teenagers living at home, and they used the Lux and its B&W DM12's a lot, so it was probably driven much more when young than I ever did.

I'd a Lux CD changer (DC-114, bought in conjunction with an Alpine car unit in '92), and I picked up a K-321 cassette deck in the sale (which I think I've used for 6 hours in 8 years!). This was, and is, the core system.

The three components work delightfully together, with Lux's serial and bus interconnects for the remote!

I couldn't resist taking the system to analog surround sound, with a Kenwood surround sub-amp I also stumbled into; my four B&W speakers, DM 12's in front and DM 600s for rears, with an Infiniti center, all work fine with the Lux R-361, along with every other piece of AV gear I've plugged into it. (These devices include a Yamaha laser disc, JVC S-VHS and Panasonic HiFi VHS, Pioneer DVD, Sony mini-disc, for a bit a Technics CD turntable and later for a while a Lux DZ-111 seconday CD player, Sony SB-V66S S-VHS switcher, Thorens TD 160 tangential turntable and a Sony PS FL-9 linear turntable).

Despite what seemed in 1995 a lot of RCA Plug and S-video connectors, the Luxman designers didn't quite catch the entire wave of the future. But which set of designers did? With a bit of planning, and the occasional outboard box like the aforementioned Sony switcher, the Lux seems to keep up with modernity as well as I want to (or as I myself do, for that matter).

Purchased At:   Myer-Emco, Bethesda

Submitted by chuteskier a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hi there. First off, the reason I have this amp is because my father went out, maybe 7 years ago, and bought 7 Luxman amps, most were R-351s, I think one might have been an R-341. We consequently moved out of that house and because we no longer have a media room, we have 7 Luxman amps sitting in the basement. I snagged one and some of the $1000 dollar handmade speakers which we also have lying around, and made myself a little home stereo. (I also got to Sony 10-disc cd changer). This receiver is amazing. The bass pounds, but tries very hard not to drown out the highs, unless you are really pumping the heck out of dance music, and even then it's all tight. I may be mistaken, but in the manual it said 35 watts per channel, but it feels like 150 at least. This amp is loud! I love it, I listen to all kinds of music and it makes me realize how much my other steroes suck. Overall, this amp may be old school, but it blows away the competiton unless you are planning on spending thousands on a new amp today.

Submitted by George a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
First.. I am a low end audiophile but I do not like tube amps. I'd have to change the tubes everyday to make sure I was getting the most out of the rascal, and then I would be paranoid. That said..if you see a Luxman R361 on ebay..buy it.. you will love it. My eight years with mine has been a joy. This is an audiophiles acceptable A/V controller This is one of the few receivers a golden ear will tolerate. I run a Sony ES CD through it and some HiFi vcr's. It is not warm but warmer than the competition. With Maggie's you won't care. If you can, get an F116 Dolby_Prologic and loop it in.
You will ignore your MagnumDynalab and Goldmund tuners..that receiver tuner is so very close to my favorite, the Luxman T117 and you get the remote and the multiple inputs and recording out conveniences. Luxman's FM "computer analyzed tun(ing)" is for real..their FM has separation and soundstage with quiet. Matched with the good amps, it just sounds great. If you have a station that cares about transmission you can tape off the air and be so very pleased. I have the old Minneapolis Cities 97 on HiFi VCR.. About 24-6's. All are as fresh and clean as an old CD but warmer. I love that tuner, the amp and the switches and remote..what else is there? God forbid if it needs repair tho'...shop around carefully and get testimonials. Be prepared to maybe ship it to New York if you really care about it. That receiver can do expensive speakers justice. I contend you will be happiest with it driving a pair of big Magnepan's (restored IIIb or newer). The following might get tiring: you could do Five NHT Super One's or the five B&W of your choice (there are a lot of great little 2-ways) and a Velodyne 18 subwoofer. Spica's are great too.. TC-50 ..try to get five for center and surround and add a sub. Vandersteen's? maybe.This may be the end of the road of your quest..'until you win the lottery and want $10,000 sound in every room, rooms big enough to hold Wilson's or Maggies.
I have not had an Acurus or AR or Bryston, etc but I did have some Carver and Adcom and Harmon. The Carver was OK the Adcom amp did not sound good. I did like the Adcom dumb pot and pre-amps. Harmon solid state amps sound good to me. I use the bottom half of an H-K 730 Twin on occasions..it's not bad.. But I am happy with my Luxman. You will be too. I think if H-K would improve quality of parts and construction, they could compete with Luxman...raise their prices and compete. But they may NEVER knock off a Luxman tuner.."computer analyzed tuner"... marketing or not, I am hooked.
Since I have a forum, I will digress on another important listener issue. Two speaker listening should have been squashed years ago... along with two mic recording. With the advent of Dolby Pro-Logic and AC-3 ..and Lexicon etc, get that center speaker singing to you..the way music was supposed to come at you. Quit spending your travel money trying to get decent sound from.. only a right and a left speaker! Enjoy your listening.

Purchased At:   ?

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Nice receiver with lots of connects and flexibility. Plenty of power. I no longer have this unit but it sounded pretty good. Tuner section was pretty good at picking up stations.

I found the vintage L-580 Luxman really sounded very much better than this unit. I have heard that the L-580 is a class A receiver however so that would explain it. Actually in my opinion all of the L series Luxmans sound better than this but these are an earlier period in Luxman history than the R-361. They have a warmer sound than the R-361.

Absolutely no comparrison in sound quality with any class A amps or even the Luxman M02 but the M02 is a power amp costing about the same as the R-361 new.

Given the price you find the R-361 for when it rarely appears for sale it is a good deal. In my area I cannot find anyone willing to work on Luxman equipment though that just might be because its Atlanta.

By the way if you are looking for a terrific sounding amp for lots cheaper than Krell you should check out the Madrigal / Citation 7.1. That is an incredible piece of equipment. The difference between the R-361 and the L-580 or Citation amps is that as you turn up the R-361 it gets louder but your fatigue goes up, not so with a better grade of amp ... it gets louder but also more rich without really noticing the volume change.

High End: