Kenwood KR-9600 Receivers

4.85/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $775.00

Submitted by Mister X a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
I got my Kenwood KR-9600 in late 1976 along with my ESS AMT-1b's and what an amazing amp it was, I used to plug my bass into it and practice (that's how I discovered it's clipping protection!), and my room mate used it to annoy neighbors 12 houses away when I wasn't home (I discovered later).

Thanks to that amp I blew away many people when Vangelis - Albedo 0.39 came out, and the first track "Pulstar" would put them on the floor, it was amazing.

I did have a problem blowing out power transistors (twice) and a few scratchy switches were a minor issue, but I wish I never traded it away, I still stay on the lookout for one cheap.

Submitted by klipschhorngotham a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
Great power! Will play any speaker you hook up to it. If you're running 4-ohm components, make sure you have enough power running to the Kenwood or it will start tripping breakers.

Submitted by D.R.Horn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
I allways wanted a beefy rec. or amp. was allways mis dirrected pissed me off all the monies . I had exellent speakers example E.S.S. @ Jensen during the 70s .Low powerd Amps @ Rec. Clipage the A Holes .Didnt know any Diff. I now have agreat set up love it.A chan. @ Bchan. with Bose @ Subs WOW.

Submitted by goldenears a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have a Kenwood Model Eleven III I bought new in '78 for about $375 in the Navy Exchange. A friend has a 9600 he bought new in '79 for around $700. My brother just got a 9600 from e-bay 4 or 5 months ago for $275. I also have a Pioneer Spec-1 preamp that has been the control center for my office sound system for the last decade. I have had to clean controls on all 4, but that is all that was needed. Ever. My Eleven III is driving a pair of Klipsch KG-4's, the 9600's are driving Cerwin Vegas. I also have a 1988 Carver C-1 with an M 1.0t driving another pair of KG 4’s that has never been touched in 20 years. There is no substitute for quality and power!! Either ante up the big, big bucks for McIntosh or the like, or find one of these rare, vintage beauties! They REALLY don’t make them like they used to. For over 30 years we have enjoyed these receivers.

Submitted by jason sorensen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought it today and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I only tested it in the thrift store with one cheap speaker to every channel to know that they all worked. Since then, I've been reading these reviews. I haven't had a decent reciever in years. I sadly went down the 'plastic fake' route for Dolby Digital. I'll have to incorporate the two somehow. Should sound magnificent. Wasn't built on slave labor like today.FIFTEEN DOLLARS DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   thrift store