Kenwood AV-1080 Receivers

3.62/5 (26 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by chinoloco a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
lThis was the best for the price at the time. You couldn't touch AC-3 Recievers for under 900.00. I love the system when I first bought it. when I got it home, and you could hear the separations of sound in the rear and the movement of the sound from the movies.. everyone was like... wow.. this is awesome. I haven't experienced the hum like everyone else. Maybe its because I have been using the TOS optical cable? I never got a true CD player, I played them from the DVD player. it seemed fine to me. I bought the system when it first came out in 1997. I am still using it today. I haven't updated since and its about time. I know the equipment is so much better and cheaper today.I may junk it now as all recievers are DTS and DD now. The great thing at the time was this receiver was 120 Watts up front and 60 watts in the surround

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by neil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
This was my first step into the surround sound world by buying this reciever and it is definately easy to use and figure out but the remote control isn't very sensitive or normal.The buzz sound is the only real problem with this reciever and i definately reccomend this for someone just getting started with their home theater for the price.

Purchased At:   cicuit city

Submitted by DJ Dizzy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Purchased at Circuit City, open box. Someone had just returned it the previous day and they put it out on display.

This is more of a question than a review. I can't seem to get the OSD working. After downloading the manual and reconnecting all my connections, pressing Setup on the remote doesn't bring up the OSD. Otherwise everything else works fine. - KTV/DVD/LD/VCD player is connected via optical cable into 1080VR. S-video of the DVD player is connected directly into my Sharp 32" TV. monitor out on the 1080VR is connected to TV. Even when I'm in VCR mode, no OSD pops up when I press Setup on the remote. Email me at dizzydj@aol.com if you have an answer...Thanks!!!!

Movie's are great on this unit. Good Surround sound. As far as music is concerned...fairly decent. I've played everything from DMX to Amber to Phantom of the Opera w/o any complaints.

I'll be getting my Energy Take 5 system w/ 10" sub next week so I'll see how it handles the upgraded speakers.

Current system:
10 yr old Yamaha tower speakers 200w RMS
Sony Surround sound system (Center w/ 2 trapazoid surrounds)..yeah..yeah...cheap..but it was all I could afford at the time.
Pioneer CD/LD/DVD/VCD Karaoke Player
PS2

very loud even at -30dbs so I'm pretty lucky I have a unit that hasn't weakend over the past 2 years.

Buzz/hum has just started. So I'll try to screw the back trick before opening it up to solder it.

I'm rating the value a 4 because at the time, it had everything I had needed for a decent price. As far as the overall, I'd have to give it a 3 due to the hum and the OSD problem.

Purchased At:   Circuit City - Open Box - Oct 98

Submitted by P. Price a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Good for the price at the time I purchased the unit. However, you can get your hands on a Yamaha HTR-5280 for a few dollars more with at lover THD rating, .04% THD if memory serves me correct. I still love the reciever over all and don't regreat the purchase. I fixed the hum my self by tightening up the screws on the upper, back pannel of the unit, just above the Optical jack. Some difficulty setting up by directions to suite personal taste. Circuit City was a joke when it came to servicing the unit. Love the Kenwood but seriously doubt if I ever purchase anything form them.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Glenn Van Kannel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with my 1080-VR.
I have been using it for almost 3 years (got this unit and a toshiba "$450.00++" DVD player when they hit the market and no one knew if DVD was going to stick around - best buy only had about 20, yes 20 different titles on DVD at the time, i like setting a presidence) and except for the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i haven't had any problems.
I was thinking about replacing this unit because of the buzzzzzzzz but found out here (stereo review) how to fix it, and I am glad i did because this unit is well worth keeping.
I did notice that one of the power supply capicators was leaking some oil when if fixed the buzzzzzzzzzzzzz and I
will be replacing it soon, this may be due to the fact my unit is located in a entertainment center and should get more ventilitation.
If you have one of these units you may want to check the top of the capiciators (viewed from the vents in the unit)
will see what looks like cookie dough on top of the filter.
You would want to have you local stereo shop replace it before it goes bad (just a suggestion).
The buzzzz is an easy fix and ,as stated, any one with a $5.00 soldiering iron could fix.
A broken ground connection on the AC-3 board (the top board you see when the cover is removed)is the problem
1) remove the (3) rear screws and (1) internal screw to the left holding the board to it's bracket
2) disconnect the two ribbon cables on the right by pulling them up and out of thier connectors (there is no type of release, just pull them, gently)
3) release plastic stands and flip board over
4) soldier connector that was attached to rear of case (both sides)
5) assemble unit in reverse order
it's just that simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck a keep jammin