Kenwood AR-1080 Receivers

2.75/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by Alex Hurley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am so glad I googled this Kenwood Model 1080vr and stumbled onto this web site. I have been using this reciever for the last 7 years and had a buzzing sound when I turned up the volume to -27 db. I put up with it for 7 years because I could not figure if it was a hardware issue or from my own installation that was causing the problem. Well I have moved 3 times in the last 7 years and I was beginning to think it was the reciever and not me. Just recently I got the new Verizon Fios cable installed and I hooked up the AC-3 sound to the reciever. To my horror I was getting the awful buzz everyone knows about except now I was getting it even when the volume was lower than -27db. Now this was a problem!!!
So, I started pressing all the buttons on the front of my reciever to see if the buzzing would go away and then that is when I discovered by pressing the "DIMMER" button the BUZZ went away!!! So, if the dimmer is on the brightest setting I get the loud buzz and if I just press it once to make the display a little dimmer the buzz goes away. Please try this before you open it up and try to tinker with it on the inside. I hope this helps at least one person because I have lived with this problem for a long time and refuse to buy a new reciever till this one dies. If anyone who does electronic repairs knows why this would solve the buzzing problem by just dimming the display I would love to here from you.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Wayne Grube a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
After owning a quality Kenwood product in the 1970's, I was expecting a nice unit. Unfortunately, that is not the case with the AR-1080. I bought mine new, and the buzz started about 6 months later. Now my left rear surround speaker has quit working. I am so disappointed with this piece of crap. I will never buy Kenwood again. Shame on them for selling such junk - they have permanently lost a customer.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Glenn VanKannel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with my 1080-VR.
Been using it for almost 3 years (got this unit and a toshiba "$450.00++" DVD palyer when they hit the market and no one knew if DVD was going to stick around - best buy only had about 20, yes 20 different titles on DVD at the time, i like setting presidence) and except for the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i haven't had any problems.
I was thinking about replacing this unit because of the buzzzzzzzz but found out here (stereo review) how to fix it, and I am glad i did because this unit is well worth keeping.
I did notice that one of the power supply capicators was leaking some oil when if fixed the buzzzzzzzzzzzzz and I
will be replacing it soon, this may be due to the fact my unit is located in a entertainment center and should get more ventilitation.
If you have one of these units you may want to check the top of the capiciators (viewed from the vents in the unit)
will see what looks like cookie dough on top of the filter.
You would want to have you local stereo shop replace it before it goes bad (just a suggestion).
The buzzzz is an esy fix and as stated any one with a $5.00 soldiering iron could fix.
A broken ground connection on the AC-3 board (the top board you see when the cover is removed)is the problem
1) remove the 3 rear screws and the internal screw to the left holding the board to it's bracket
2) disconnect the two ribbon cables on the right by pulling them up and out of thier conncetors (there is no type of release, just pull them)
3) release plastic stands and flip board over
4) soldier connector that was attached to rear of case (both sides)
5) assemble unit in reverse order
it's just that simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck a keep jammin

Purchased At:   SUN

Submitted by Rey Uy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have to say even-though this recerver has its flaws it has its value. Like most of the other reviews posted i too had the buzzing problem, but, mine had the annoying hum at all volumes levels even at 98. The problem is, is that there is a loose ground where the processor boards are grounded at. That could be simply fixed by tightening the screw on the outside of the chassis closest to the system control input. I've had that problem for a year, and was totally thanking god that the damn sound was gone. Im only 15 years old and am somewhat knowledgeable in the world of electronics. Overall the reciever is quite a good performer, for its price of course. This is a good receiver for entry level home theatersist. One of the reasons why it isn't as good as other high-end receivers is the fact that it's a first generation Dolby Digital receiver. One other way to notice that would be that it only has DD decodeing and doesn't include DTS(Digital Theater Systems). Thats also one of the reasons why it has only 60 watts per surround channel. Back then they didnt really enphasize the rear channel as they do now, thats why most receivers have balanced power to all channels. I would recommend this receiver to anybody on a low budget.

Submitted by Cam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've been using the Kenwood 1080VR for almost 2 years and it has worked like a charm for me. I've never experienced any sort of buzzing. Build quality could be better, but it's decent for what this receiver is priced at now these days.

Set up is easy with a graphical user interface. An informative test tone generator makes it easy to balance all channels. Radio reception was just ok, but good tuners are hard to find these days.

Sound quality was quite decent. In two channel music, dynamics were great and imagining was precise. The bass wasn't as powerful or punchy when running large speakers as say the Yamaha RX-V795a, but this will be remedied if you use a sub. Sound was slightly bright when the receiver was pushed hard, but that's common on many low to mid priced receivers.

In Dolby digital the 1080VR was awesome. The sound was quite clean at moderately loud listening levels. Seperation was excellent, and the overall soundstage was relatively deep. At really loud levels though, it did lose its composure on challenging movie scenes. Though rated at 100+ watts, it doesn't have the headroom or dynamic power as some of the high current amps out there like the Harman Kardon AVR series or even the Yamahas. At any rate, this is insignificant is you aren't planning on running your system at movie theater level in a large room.

An interesting connection at the rear are preouts for the surrounds. This opens doors for the possibility of adding a faux- Dolby Surround EX to your system. Connecting the surround preouts to a prologic receiver, you can effectively mimic a Surround EX set up. Preouts for the rears are rare in this price range.

In my experience, the Kenwood has performed well. I might be in the minority, but I would recommend this receiver to anyone getting into the home theater game. Features that this receiver has over the newer, cheaper VR 309 model are the onscreen display and preouts. This receiver is now being relegated to my small basement media room, but its been a noble soldier during its stay in my living room.

FGH 26: